Join now - be part of our community!

64bit Vista on an SZ Possible??

skykit84
New

64bit Vista on an SZ Possible??

Hi all,

I'm curious, my SZ4XWN/C has a Core2DUO T7200 (2.0ghz) CPU in it. I assume this is 64bit?
So why does Sony only give 32bit Vista installation (or I assume XP too if it were the chance)

If I was to install the 64bit version, does anyone know about driver support and what not?
Are the drivers supplied with the laptop 32bit only?

Thanks!

A

4 REPLIES 4
sgrenfurm
Visitor

Hi Akash

Yes your laptop has a 64-bit processors. All Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit. So installing vista x64 is possible. The only problems are:

1) There is currently limited driver availabilty for vista x64. If you install a 64bit os then you have to find drivers for all your components to support the new os.

2) The benefits of a 64bit os is not noticeable. The real performance difference will be evident when you install 64bit software. And there aren't a lot of those available right now. Thats why sony doesn't have any vaios with 64bit os standard (i think).

So, I would say that the disadvantages outweigh the advantages of having vista x64 installed right now.

I would wait a few months when there are more software titles that are 64bit and when driver support (most important) is better.

Hope this helps..

paul_k
Visitor

Also I think I'm correct in saying that the 64bit OS will only allow you to use signed drivers. On 32bit you can choose to ignore the warning and install unsigned drivers, but on 64bit this is not possible.

skykit84
New

Thanks to sgrenfurm and paul_k for this information
I also did not know about the signed driver issue but you are correct after reading up on it

Thanks again and 32bit it is I guess because I have a horrible feeling Sony are taking a break in the bahama's for the next year and won't be releasing 64bit drivers anytime soon!
(atleast not for its own hardware like the cam and what not!)

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

The main issue you'll find is getting drivers, they're thin on the ground even for non-VAIO machines.