Join now - be part of our community!

A few ram questions (slow frequency + upgrading)

D34K
Visitor

A few ram questions (slow frequency + upgrading)

Afternoon,

I have a Vaio VGN-SZ2XP and I'm looking into upgrading my RAM (from 1GB to 2GB). However, in doing this I have discovered something odd.

My RAM should be 533MHz DDR2, but running CPU-Z it appears to be only running at ~266MHz. The Vaio is plugged in and is running on the High Performance power plan, with CPU min set at 100%. What gives?

Also, as loyal as I am to Sony, is there really any benefit to paying literally 10x the price for official Vaio RAM compared to going to somewhere like Mr Memory?

3 REPLIES 3
D34K
Visitor

Further to this... I've just noticed that the CPU (which is 2GHz) is mostly running at 1GHz, and flicking to 2GHz for about 1 second, then flicking back.

I've now turned power management off, but it's still flakey.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi D34K.

All DDR RAM actually runs at half the frequency published.

DDR stands for 'Double Data Rate' and RAM advertised as 533MHz actually only runs at 266MHz but utilises both sides of the frequency curve to give the equivalent speed of a 'Single Data Rate' module running at 533MHz. OK, it confuses me too!

I can't defend Sony's memory prices - especially as they don't make it themselves but buy it in from someone like Samsung.

Buy from CRUCIAL who have an excellent reputation and guarantee compatibility. Most members here have bought from Crucial without complaint.

Your model will support 667MHz modules - so buy these if you are replacing both modules.

:wink:

D34K
Visitor

Thanks a lot for clearing that up about the RAM! Yep, defnitely a little confusing.

And cheers for the link to Crucial; fantastic! :slight_smile: