Join now - be part of our community!

Animated placeholder box/

RobertStalker
Visitor

Animated placeholder box/

PCC-RX403N Windows XP Home Edition MS-IE6.

Anyone experienced not able to sight animated placeholder boxes whilest viewing Web pages - only a white screen with a box displaying a small square/dot/triangle.
If I use the Opera browser instead of IE6, this error is not apparent. IE6 and WindowsXP have both been reinstalled seperately.

37 REPLIES 37
RobertStalker
Visitor

I did a visit to Macromedia and downloaded a copy of Flashplayer, and also a Web page stated flashplayer was not installed in my system and asked if I wish to download a copy - this I accepted - result same "error" persists. Why I have this error is most annoying, thank heaven for people like yourselves, the firms who should know have shown no interest.

profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

What version of IE6 is given in Help - About Internet Explorer.

kee-lo_

Put your security settings to medium.

RobertStalker
Visitor

Security set at Medium has no effect.

My steps for trying to instal Flashplayer7......................

Flashplayer7 Installer> select US English> Next> Netscape Browser 7.1 (only named shown) > Click on Browser> C:\> Select Programs, Internet Explorer, Plugins> This shows as C:\Programs\Internet Explorer\Plugins> Click on Select> Displays - "Setup could not find your browser plugin folder."

This I thought would select browser IE6 and instal Flashplayer7.

RobertStalker
Visitor

In my quest to find a solution, removed AOL's software from the system. I uninstalled and reinstalled Flashplayer7, again caption displayed unabled to locate "Set up could not find browser plugin." Flashplayer still remains uninstalled or not recognised in IE 6, but functions properly with Netscape and Opera browsers.

kee-lo_

Hmm, this is a pain isn't it?
To be honest, Opera's 100x better anyway, but that doesn't help you with IE does it?
I would suggest a reformat, but that's a bit OTT for just that. Sounds to me like the plugins directory has got messed up.

RobertStalker
Visitor

It certainly appears to be number one error, that error should be able to be resolved. Unfortunately manufacturers of computers sew up the compiling of a system and are relunctant to put things right when things go pear shape.
You mention the plugin directory could be corrupt - can this avenue of thought be taken to check or is this in code? It is just that I hate defeat, then again sometime there is no other alternative. As I have said on many occasions - help of any description is always greatly appreciated as is the time people take in posting replies.

kee-lo_

Has it ever worked?
Maybe you could restore to a point where you know it worked.

RobertStalker
Visitor

Not under WindowsXP - in Windows 98 SE it appeared several times - able to rectify by downloading a file from MS named msjavx86.exe. This file no longer available - my copy was erased sometime ago and not kept.
The Web site www.howstuffworks.com told me error was caused by Flashplayer 7 not present on my computer - certainly this could be the case, as Flashplayer refuses to instal under IE6 browser.

kee-lo_

Heh, typcial IE, never works when you want it to.
Opera / Mozilla all the way.