Join now - be part of our community!

AR11B Hinge

highroyds
Visitor

AR11B Hinge

Hi,

I posted on this board about the AR11B notebook I purchased last year when in August of this year the hinge broke on the left side.

I have contacted a number of places - place of purchase, Sony VAIO, COnsumer Direct and Trading Standards, this is because even though the notebook was within its warranty Sony VAIO and place of purchase are not willing to repair the notebook free of charge because the hinge as Sony VAIO state is NOT covered by the warranty, this is even though Sony VAIO have never stated it in the warranty I have received, it was only after I found the information on their site and when I telephoned Sony VAIO up.

Now what I would like to know is where I would beable to get this so called EXPENSIVE hinge from as I dont think its correct that I would have to pay out £140 for the collection and then parts plus labour on top (nearing £200 or over in total).

So if someone could let me know where I could get the part I'd be grateful.

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi highroyds,

You could try nexttronics , they are a US based company but they do ship worldwide.. :slight_smile:

highroyds
Visitor

Hi,

Just wanted to say thanks for that link, the site search didnt find any hinge for the AR11B, but if I put in the part number I found the part I needed and it does work out cheaper to buy the part yourself instead of paying Sony VAIO to do it all for you:

Part from web site: around £40 for part & shipping includes installation by self

Sony VAIO quote: £140 - £200 includes pickup, diagnostic's, parts and labour.

Thanks again

PS. Could anyone tell me what the blue stuff is that is found on the end of the screws, it looks simular to pfe tape that plumbers use.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

PS. Could anyone tell me what the blue stuff is that is found on the end of the screws, it looks simular to pfe tape that plumbers use.

Possibly a locking compound?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome.. :slight_smile:

highroyds
Visitor

Cheers for the stuff

PT-42 Z-42 Thread locking Blue £4.00