Join now - be part of our community!

ati radeon 9600xt into my pvc rx413n

ati radeon 9600xt into my pvc rx413n

i have the vaio rx413n with a geforce 4 mx 460, and i want to upgrade to a radeon 9600xt. is this possible (with power supplies and so on)? the radeon needs an 300 watt power supply and my power supply unit has 220 volt ~ 1.7 A so it has ??? 374 ??? watt. is that right? i have inserted an addition al soundcard (terrstec aureon 5.1 fun).do i need another power supply unit or will the new graphics card work without any problems??

steffen scheideler

16 REPLIES 16
RobertStalker
Visitor

The more hardware in use at any given time will draw more current (amps) from the CPU. It is unlikely that all your hardware within your computer will be in use at the one time - except probably at switchon - again Startup, advanced will show number of loadups.
The more current a graphics card is, better the results - point to consider is what the computer is required to do - unless current released games and digital photographics is your number one, then to spend a large amount is unnecessary.
A rough guide is to make a note of hardware, cards, motherboard etc installed and then add each item's drawn current - if this total adds up to more than capacity of your installed CPU - you will then have to purchase a higher rated CPU.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Remember that < 400w with new CPUs just won't work good.

ano102
Visitor

hello

I have exactly the same problem with upgrading my mx 460 geforce 4 video card with a 9600XT. It seems that the power is not able to handle the video card and we have to change the power.
I have decided to move my computer to another case with more place to decrease the temperature and allow to install the new power supply because it seems to be difficult to install it in this special case.
but I have a question : if the migration from mx 460 to 9600 xt failed after installing the new the card and the new driver, where can I download the old driver for mx 460 to come back at the previous state ?
the video driver avaible on support sony is only a upgrade and I thinks it is not enough for a new full installation ?
for the installtation of new, we have to delete the driver but is it possible to save it before delete it ?

thanks for answers

Yo Bro, you can find the Detonator 38.02 (I think) on the 3rd Recovery Disk! But how did you move the Net MD Drive into the other PC Tower?

paddy_uk
Visitor

You could download the latest driver from http://www.nvidia.com (there's a link at the top middle of the page for getting the right driver) then depending on whether you have a CDR or not, you could put it onto CD.

paddy_uk
Visitor

Oh yeah, if you're fitting everything into a new case, I would go for a big (wattage) PSU so that your future upgrade & power needs are catered for. I have a 550watt PSU with a speed dial for the fan to help keep the fan noise down.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Yeah they're nice PSUs.