Join now - be part of our community!

Audio drivers for downgrading to xp on AR51M

evilenglishman
Visitor

Audio drivers for downgrading to xp on AR51M

Hi
today I got my new laptop and my first job is to get XP on it.
I have managed to get practically everything working in XP except for the audio. I've been looking all over to try and sort this out but no matter what I try I cant get it working.

Ive tried the vista drivers and drivers from various places.

I currently have 2 problems.

1. Pop up on windows start:

Rthdcpl - EAccessViolation

2. SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC - yellow ! in device manager with error 10 - device cant start.

Can anyone point me to some drivers that will work?

76 REPLIES 76
simonkoleznik
Visitor

I downgraded AR51J :slight_smile: But I didn't follow the instructions for soundblaster, I have only installed SigmaTel and it worked! A had serious problems with camera, but when I quit it with thoughts in my head (GO F* YOURSELF!) it magically worked in next days and I didn't do anything.

StephBZH-CH
Visitor

I downgraded AR51J :slight_smile: But I didn't follow the instructions for soundblaster, I have only installed SigmaTel and it worked! A had serious problems with camera, but when I quit it with thoughts in my head (GO F* YOURSELF!) it magically worked in next days and I didn't do anything.

Hello simonkoleznik,

I'm very interested, because I used the SigmaTel drivers provided in the audio pack in these pages, but it seems that the driver is not the one for the audio chipset.
Do you remember where you find your driver ?
I'm quite frustrated reading it's working for everyone, but not me...

You can PM me if you'd like
Thanks.
Regards

sy2j
Visitor

A few people have said they got their camera working, and I'd be interested to know if anyone had this problem:

I think technically the camera works, in that the system knows there's a camera installed. The problem I have is that if I try to initialise it, the following error message comes back, which I just can't get around:

"Creation of the video preview failed.

Please check the device connection and make sure that the device is not being used by another application or user."

There is only one account on Windows (default administrator).

Anyone else got around this issue? I've Googled it to death but didn't get anywhere, and have been in the same "Go F*** Yourself" boat as simonkoleznik was!

Cheers,

Sy

sidetrack
Visitor

Thanks for this tip. I used this driver to downgrade my SZ71 MN/B successfully after hours of wasted time. If only they'd told me in the down-grade instructions. Thanks.

marky7777pp
Visitor

out of interest,why are you all going back to xp, i must admit i couldnt get along with vista at first, but after using it a while find its alot better - mybe just me, i use xp all day at work, and my 2 home pcs are vista

synthman
Visitor

out of interest,why are you all going back to xp, i must admit i couldnt get along with vista at first, but after using it a while find its alot better - mybe just me, i use xp all day at work, and my 2 home pcs are vista

My kids use vista on there laptop which is faster than my AR51M and on XP I will be surfing the net before they get anywhere near the user logon screen when switched on at the same time! Also Vista and Avid Liquid 6, Studio 9 and Steinbergs Wavelab 5 do not mix (the first 2 will not load and the last one will not save).

Also like you I did not get on with Vista at first but yes it does have some nice features but at the end of the day it is just an OS to me and my applications are what I use! XP is the end for me my next purchase will be based on Linux or Mac and I like Bill Gates but anual subscription OS? no way. :slight_smile:

marky7777pp
Visitor

just been reading micro mart, there is a feature on using virtual machine, it allows you to run any number of os over the top of vista,linux, xp etc, might be useful to people not wanting to go down the full downgrade path - interestingly it also allows programs to be used that arnt compatable with the default operating system.