Join now - be part of our community!

Automatic update fails

profile.country.en_GB.title
hextastic
Visitor

Automatic update fails

I have an automatic update (Remote Keyboard & TrackID 1.1.0.07060) which has repeatedly failed to install. Any ideas why?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hextastic,

Have you tried a manual install?

Manual installation instructions
1. Exit all running programs.
2. Download this update (from Support) and save it to your hard drive.
3. When the download is completed, locate the downloaded file in the location you specified.
4. Double-click EP0000255037.exe to run it.
5. Wait while the wizard updates your software.
6. When the installation is complete, restart the VAIO.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hextastic
Visitor

Thanks for the answer, Rich912. This update appears as an "automatic update" but I have tried at least 10 times to download this update from the automatic update dialogue box in VAIO update. Every time I get the message "Installation failed" "Please wait a while and try again". Since this update has appeared, I have received no other offered updates to install, so I am slightly worried that there is something amiss with my VAIO update. The laptop is brand new (about 2 weeks old) and I update regularly with Windows and the Kaspersky anti virus software which I have installed.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hextastic,

I was suggesting a manual download from the Support site as opposed to the automatic update route.

You have not stated your model number so I’m unable to give you a direct link, but follow the link below, select your model and login. You should find any available updates listed under the Download tab.

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/index.aspx?l=en_GB

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hextastic
Visitor

Rich

Tried sending you an e mail yesterday but it failed twice. I did as you said but when the download completed I got the message "EP0000255037.exe was reported as unsafe".

I deleted it from my downloads folder without opening it (I neither want this update or need it). However, I am slightly concerned that Sony are encouraging me to download an automatic update which is potentially harmful.

The update continues to appear in the updates dialogue box but I have unticked it. Any ideas how I can remove it from my automatic updates?

Also, since this update appeared (30th August) I have received no other update from Sony.

WTF is going on?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi hextastic,

What software is reporting that EP0000255037.exe is unsafe? Whatever it is I would guess that it is a false positive as Sony are not in the business of distributing malware.

If you don’t need this update then ignore it – I know of no way to remove the notification from Automatic Updates.

Updates are only issued as and when required and the older the model the less frequently updates appear. If you are in any doubt then manually check for updates using the link in my previous post

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat