Join now - be part of our community!

Bad graphics AR31S model Vaio

SOLVED
profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

Bad graphics AR31S model Vaio

My 4 year old vaio is showing the vertical lines problem which appears to be a graphics card chip manufacturing fault and would cost in the region of 200£ to repair so why is this not covered under warranty as the product was obviously unfit for use with a major manufacturing fault and should have been recalled. Would the E.U. take \this up with the makers. I am very dissapointed with this as a lifelong Sony user.

P.S. They may not post this on the forum..

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Pajo100

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine. The standard manufacturers warranty covers the machine for a year post purchase and this can then be extended to 3 years. Retailers also offer warranty extensions at point of purchase. Without seeing the machine, its impossible to know for sure what the issue is, but as the machine is presumably outside of warranty, so the repair would unfortunately be chargeable. 

Thanks

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
Catmambo
Contributor

Hi Pajo100

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your machine. The standard manufacturers warranty covers the machine for a year post purchase and this can then be extended to 3 years. Retailers also offer warranty extensions at point of purchase. Without seeing the machine, its impossible to know for sure what the issue is, but as the machine is presumably outside of warranty, so the repair would unfortunately be chargeable. 

Thanks

profile.country.GB.title
pajo100

I fully understand the warranty implications but surely Sony could offer something on a goodwill basis as this problem is widespread on these models with Nvidia graphics chips

As I will have to purchase a new laptop I will certainly be avoiding Sony models from now on.

My local Sony agent has confirmed that the motherboard would have to be replaced and would not be economical to repair.