Join now - be part of our community!

bass response through standard headphones

jamieshurlock
Visitor

bass response through standard headphones

does anyone else feel that the bass with standard headphones is rubbish?
just upgraded to a pocket from my minidisc player which had 'mega-bass' settings in it which even with standard headphones made it sound fantastic!
i know this isnt part of the walkmen range but surely having paid more for the other functions we should not be conned out of the basic ones that other models give?
basically i feel the graphic only does a small amount to help the sound and dont really want to buy other headphones unless i have to!
even with my mdr-v700 (the dj looking big ones) the quality of sound is better but the bass still lacking!
im sure that the 20gb hard-drive player probably sounds better even with standard 'phones?
maybe a firmware for this would be a better idea even than the video one mentioned (hope this does come soon, would make this competition for the archos as well as the i-pod!)
I do have my concerns as to the backing of the new firmware for future use as they are now a discontinued model. seems they didnt sell as well as they should and the hd5 model is getting all the attention instead.
anyone got any ideas or recommendations?

5 REPLIES 5
chris_lewis
Visitor

I use a set of MDR-EX71's they are like little ear plugs, there a bit weird at first but the bass is much better than any other headphones I have!!
£26 quid from Amazon, btw

C

constantine_jk
Visitor

I tried the MDR-EX71's with my VP, as I had the same complaint regarding the bass, but the bass was then too much. The MDR-EX81's though give really good bass and I prefer the sound in general :clap:

profile.country.de_DE.title
seb21__
Visitor

I have the MDR-EX70 which is a good in-ear headphone. But headphones like these are only good if you use them outdoor. Because these headphones was constructed to reduce noises from other sources. Like cars, peoples and so one.

If you would use them for example at home or on your Hifi, then you would get a unrealistic sound.

jamieshurlock
Visitor

thanks for that
i am headphone shopping this week
i started using the headphones from my sony minidisc player and they are much better than the originals when i change the equaliser to full bass and low mid/treble
just a bugger when i have decent headphones that dont work as the sound isnt as 'amplified' as with my home hifi or old minidisc (relying on bass boost though)
will take your recommendations on board and taking my vaio as my test bed to get the right ones
may even look at noise canceling phones too...
will post again when i find the right ones
have been advised to try the b&o in ears that a friend has but didnt want to spend that much really!

profile.country.en_GB.title
@4967457401015621
Visitor

You could take a look at the Shure e2c earphones, I plan to get a pair when I have some money spare.. They're designed as in ear monitors and fit very snugly into your ear (you get a selection of different sleevs) which seals out exterior sounds, apparently very effectively. There's loads of information about them, on ebay they're about £40 inc postage now