Join now - be part of our community!

Best way to back up large files

Smac
Visitor

Best way to back up large files

I have need to restore my Vaio M2 desktop and wish to find the best way to backup all my files. I have tried to use transfer wiz but when I choose my f drive and it searches for all my files and settings it then wont recognise any disc I load i.e. DVD or cds. My problem is I have a lot of large video flies exceeding the 4.7gb on DVDs and therefore it wont backup with record now. How can I back up my files?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Bigger than DVD? Has to be a portable hard disk. You can get some reasonable prices - USB2 and Firewire are recomended.

HITS-UK
Visitor

KL's right - £150 and lower will get you a 16Gb USB/Firewire external drive. What I use for the W1s is the Western Digital 160Gb External Media Centre - has a multi-card reader as well as the drive.

kee-lo_

For £170 I got a 300GB Maxtor from Amazon.co.uk
Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB

Smac
Visitor

For £170 I got a 300GB Maxtor from Amazon.co.uk
Maxtor OneTouch II 300GB

I¿ve been having a look at this drive and some others for best value and am now totally wrecked with the choices. Anyway this Maxtor seems up their for value and performance but a couple of bad reviews has unsettled my final decision. So have you any honest regrets with this choice and could you have made or is there a better choice at present.

Cheers

kee-lo_

No I have no regrets (like Edith Piaf) - I like using this drive, it's easy, quick, and I like the way I can hide a drive if I don't want people accessing it.

Nice and thin too, fits in my bag on the move.