Join now - be part of our community!

BIOS update for Sony Vaio VGN-NR21J

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
colum_ritchie
Explorer

BIOS update for Sony Vaio VGN-NR21J

Hi

I'm looking for an updated BIOS to allow me to change my HD controller so I can install BackTrack.

BIOS is currently Phoenix Technologies LTD
R1101J9

I've seached Sony website and unable to locate it :slight_frown:

anyone able to point me in the right direction

Many thanks

colum

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
nikkilim
Visitor

Hi Ritchie. Updating the BIOS is a sensitive task. One false move and it will cause your motherboard to have issues.

I would suggest to call the support team and having them to walk you through on this. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Colum.

It doesn't look like Sony have ever released an updated BIOS for your model so such a BIOS Update does not exist.

User changes are always restricted in any Sony BIOS.  What exactly do you want to do?

:slight_frown:

colum_ritchie
Explorer

Hi Blencogo,

I'm looking to dual boot my laptop with Windows 7 and BackTrack 5.

When I try to install BackTrack it doesnt see my drive as having Windows 7 installed, (I've also tried with XP).

I've tried installing BackTrack first and then Windows 7 (and also XP) afterwards but the partitions aren't being picked up correctly.

Upon investigation via BackTrack, they mention the HD controller needs to be changed to a Legacy controller, but since I dont have access to this option via the BIOS I was hoping that an updated BIOS was available to allow me the option.

From what I've seen, after intense searching on the web, there is apparently a BIOS for this laptop available (well according to http://biosagentplus.com ), however they are wanting $29.99 for this.

I'm not sure how legit the biosagentplus website is though, as I've never had to buy any BIOS updates in the past ever as they're usually available via the manufactures web sites :slight_frown:

nikkilim
Visitor

Hi Ritchie. Updating the BIOS is a sensitive task. One false move and it will cause your motherboard to have issues.

I would suggest to call the support team and having them to walk you through on this. https://imagicon.info/cat/12-13/vmware_happy.gif

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The Support Team will NOT help you with this because: -

A)  There is no Sony produced BIOS available.

B)  Your Vaio is outside Warranty and assistance will not be given to install another Linux based Operating System.

Nikkilim. Do you actually have a Vaio computer? You obviously know nothing about them.

:angry:

colum_ritchie
Explorer

@ Nikkilim, I'm familar enough with BIOS updates to motherboards, I've worked in the computer industry for around 20 years, updated many motherboards, DVD drives etc and nowadays most BIOS updates do a verification check before you can proceed (if they're not for your device they wont allow you).

@ Blencogo, I wouldnt expect Sony would support me out of Warranty and I wasnt looking them to give me assistance to install the BT.  I know I need to change the HD Controller, but the option is unavailable in the BIOS, I was half hoping that an update to the BIOS would unlock the option for me to do what I need to do.

Guessing I'm stuffed then :slight_frown: