Join now - be part of our community!

blue ray drive will not read dvds and blue ray discs

SOLVED
jensymumsy1968
Explorer

blue ray drive will not read dvds and blue ray discs

Help please I have  VPCF12S1E which recently had to go in for a new hard drive  including a factory reset and reinstalling of windows. Did not put on any of the vaio care or anything though they said they would should I put on the downloads my self and would vaio care sort out the blue ray drive.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

I guessed as much.

Did you create a set of recovery discs before the HDD was replaced?

If you have a set of recovery discs you are normally able to use those discs to restore your Vaio back to the original factory configuration, which would include WinDVD BD.

If you do not have a set of recovery discs then a set can be purchased through Vaio support.

Unlike the drivers or utilities, the programs supplied with your vaio are not available for download which would mean that you would need to purchase a program that would allow you play BD media on your Vaio.
PowerDVD Ultra or WinDVD Pro seem to be a popular choice, if you decide to purchase a program be sure to check it plays BD media as some cheaper versions only play DVD's.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

Hi jensymumsy1968, the reason you are unable to play DVD and blu ray media is because they did not install Win DVD BD which is one of the Sony supplied pre-installed applications.
Do you know I f they used the recovery discs to install windows on your new HDD?
jensymumsy1968
Explorer

No they did not  please can you tell me where can i get win dvd bd

profile.country.GB.title
Nobody-in-particular
Contributor

I guessed as much.

Did you create a set of recovery discs before the HDD was replaced?

If you have a set of recovery discs you are normally able to use those discs to restore your Vaio back to the original factory configuration, which would include WinDVD BD.

If you do not have a set of recovery discs then a set can be purchased through Vaio support.

Unlike the drivers or utilities, the programs supplied with your vaio are not available for download which would mean that you would need to purchase a program that would allow you play BD media on your Vaio.
PowerDVD Ultra or WinDVD Pro seem to be a popular choice, if you decide to purchase a program be sure to check it plays BD media as some cheaper versions only play DVD's.