Join now - be part of our community!

Blue screen of death

profile.country.en_GB.title
user1101
Visitor

Blue screen of death

I have a sony vaio vpcm12m1e and it starts up and then shows me the blue screen of death which says
STOP: c000021a unknown hard error
Unknown hard error

I tried starting bios and rstoreing to factory settings but it didn't work

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

The login process has failed.  This can be caused by several things.

There is a Microsoft knowledgebase article on troubleshooting this problem.  Have a look here: -

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

See if anything there helps - the 'Last Known Good Configuration' suggestion is worth a try.

:thinking:

profile.country.en_GB.title
mathewlisett
Visitor

i dont know how competent with computers you are so dont take what i say as a insult etc.

reboot the system, go into bios ( Hold down F2, this will take you into BIOS. On some computers it might be the DEL key, or F1. )

find the area where it shows floppy, cd dvd driver, hard drive etc. make sure the hard drive is at number one. (follow instructions how to do this from the screen)

save and let it reboot.

if you still have the issue. reboot, pres F8 for advanced menu, and select safe mode

go to my computer, go to the main hard driver which is normally drive c, right click, go to properties, select tools, pres check now tick both box's , press ok, and you will either have it check the drive there and then, or will tell you in order for it to follow those instructions it needs to reboot, press ok and reboot.

it coudl take minutes or houyrs to go through the chkdsk.

if that doesnt sort it and you dont have any data to worry about backing up, go get hirens cd, it can be run under bios, go into the hard drive tools and select low level format. this again will likely take hours if the hard drive is large.

but it will hopefully solve any issues the hard drive itself is having.

if you do have data to back up and you have another system to hand (if the other system isnt sata enabled go buy a external sata enclosuer which you can then add the laptop hdd to ) how ever you will need to find out how to take the drive out of the laptop first., when you attach the drive, go to the main drive part, go to

C:\Documents and Settings (on windows xp this is) locate the named folder, and either if you have enough space on your workign system, right clikc on the folder and press copy and then paste on the workign system for now)

this will save all your data, just not your software which you can likely locate for updates anyways.

if you are havign to do the backup , this is a good chance to after you have saved the files, do the low level format whilst the drive is there.

currently hirens cd has v14 restored edition, but you can mount to a virtual drive and run a load of applications via windows.

good luck, and Im always here for a hand

oh and whilst the drive is either in the laptop or on the new system, after the low level option, go for the hard drive check, which i believe is also on the hirens cd, and is the western digital tool.

Message was edited by: mathewlisett

Message was edited by: mathewlisett

profile.country.GB.title
aerobicsgirl
New

I always get the BSOD when I try to connect my Bravia to my (non-Sony) laptop.  Will try out the suggestion above and will take a look at the link posted to see if I can solve the problem.