Join now - be part of our community!

Bluetooth gone West and Vaio Control Center won't start

Symbo
Visitor

Bluetooth gone West and Vaio Control Center won't start

My VAIO SZ5XWN Vista Business laptop is about 3 months old and till now has been firing on all cylinders.
Recently the following problems have surfaced.

Problem 1
Vaio Control Center gives following Runtime Error! and won't start.

Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library
"The application has requested the Runtime to terminate in an unusual way.
Please contact the application's support team for more information."

Problem 2
The Vaio Wireless Switch Setting Utility (accessed from the notification area taskbar icon) no longer shows the bluetooth option. I only get control over 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz WiFi. I can still turn bluetooth on with the wireless hardware switch but have no way of turning on only wifi. I get bluetooth + wifi or bluetooth. It's not the end of the world but what has happened to the bluetooth option?
I have the most recent 3.6.01.20140 version from Vaio Update.

I thought MS System Restore might cure the gremlins. Perhaps something I had recently installed (like the new Vaio Wireless Switch Setting Utility?) was causing a conflict.
MS System Restore will not work. After trying a number of different Restore points I consistently get the same error message.
"An unspecified error has caused System Restore to malfunction. No files or settings were changed. Please retry System Restore .....etc"

I then thought the Vaio Recovery Utility might help. Perhaps I would be able to reinstall the Vaio Control Centre and Wireless Switch Setting Utility? No such luck as neither applicaion is listed as available.

I believe I can use Control Panel instead of the failing Vaio applications but I'd still like a fix.
The System Restore issue worries me more as it sounded like an excellent fail safe. A quick google reveals I am not alone.

Anyone experiencing similar?
Any advice would be gratefully received.

Symbo

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.en_GB.title
tonybeard
Explorer

Welcome to the forum.
Go into your device manager and open the tree for the wireless adapter and disable and reenable the driver. That worked for me.

Symbo
Visitor

Welcome to the forum.
Go into your device manager and open the tree for the wireless adapter and disable and reenable the driver. That worked for me.

Tony,

Device Manager. I hadn't thought to poke about in there. Tried the disable/enable driver alas without success, but many thanks for your welcome and suggestion.

Symbo