Join now - be part of our community!

BOOTING AND INSTALLING WINDOWS with no recovery tool

lellobello
Visitor

BOOTING AND INSTALLING WINDOWS with no recovery tool

Ok, just got a tx5xn and happy with it

I've done this silly recovery thing (2 DVDs), and googled around and roam the forum. Yet, I'm still wondering if there is way to have VISTA DVD that I could use in boot mode, I mean without even start windows or trick th recovery tool.

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi lellobello and welcome to Club Vaio.

Like it or not, it has been Sony policy for about 4 years now to provide all back-up software as a Recovery Partition on the hard drive. The operating system is an OEM version and is only supplied in a format that can be used to reinstall the system on the original computer - not in the format that can be installed on or used to boot any PC.

I can see why Sony want to do it this way - it is cheaper and less hassle - but most users would prefer a Genuine Installation Disc as this gives access to the Repair Option and the Recovery Console.

I cannot see this situation changing as more and more manufacturers go down this same route.

That said - it is possible to make a slipstreamed disc from a retail copy of Windows and to install it with the Key on the bottom of the Vaio. There is a thin line here between legal and illegal.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

I think it's sad that this policy has spread, Apple have not done this so I don't see why PC manufacturers are so anti-DVD and insisting on using the HDD. Doesn't cost much to press a DVD, specially en-masse.

This isn't a Sony problem, it's everyone else who's just as bad.

lellobello
Visitor

Thanks for the replies

well, no big deal for me. However, in some case can be a real problem. In the past I had windows version not simply messed up, but unable to start...

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

In the past I had windows version not simply messed up, but unable to start...

You can boot from the First Recovery Disc into the Vaio Recovery Wizard - but this only offers a full Recovery Option not a Repair Option.

:wink:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

There are boot disks you can make to get that recovery console from Windows.