Join now - be part of our community!

Calling all Linux users

IntuitiveNipple
Visitor

Calling all Linux users

Can you help?

Recently I've been working on enabling Fn keys, screen dimmer, bluetooth and wireless LAN power, suspend/resume and VMX (VT) on a Vaio VGN-FE41Z.

Today I've joined with Mattia Dongili to work on the Sony Notebook Control/Sony PI sony-laptop driver for the Linux kernel.

As part of my contribution I want to collect the ACPI DSDT (Differentiated System Description Table) from as many different Vaio models as possible. I'm thinking mainly of portables, not desktops, since we're mainly dealing with portable-specific issues.

The aim is to use the information to identify how to enable all the custom functionality these portables have so everything that is possible in Windows is possible in Linux.

You can help us simply by capturing the DSDT from your Vaio and attaching it to this thread.

To make things easier for me to analyse the results please format the name of the file according to this scheme:

SERIES-MODEL-BIOSVERSION.dsdt

E.g: For a Vaio VGN-FE41Z with BIOS version R0200J3 you'd call the file VGN-FE41Z-R0200J3.dsdt

You can see the BIOS version during boot by pressing Esc or F2 as the PC starts. It should be shown on the first screen of the BIOS setup menus, too.

You need to install and run a simple ACPI utility called acpidump. On Debian/Ubuntu you can install it using:

$ sudo apt-get install acpidump

To run it:
$ cd ~
$ acpidump -b -t DSDT -o
$ tar -czvf .tar.gz

Remember to replace with your model & BIOS name, e.g:
$ acpidump -b -t DSDT -o VGN-FE41Z-R0200J3.dsdt
$ tar -czvf VGN-FE41Z-R0200J3.dsdt.tar.gz VGN-FE41Z-R0200J3.dsdt

Now you can attach the compressed archive file (the tar.gz file) to a reply here and I can download and disassemble it.

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
deand
Visitor

VGN-AR31S running SuSE 10.2

See attached for the dsdt

Po0ky
Visitor

My laptop is a VGN-FE41S with bios version R0200J3.
The dsdt is identical to the one VGN-FE41Z uses. (I checked)

Anybody who solved the messy dsdt file already?

profile.country.en_GB.title
gumbibear
Visitor

Hi. This is my first post to Club VAIO. Feel privileged!

I've attached the file you require for my VGN-S270P. Note that I didn't bother to reboot and instead used YaST's System Information tool to grab what I hope is the correct BIOS revision. However, there were two similar looking items in there with similar numbers, so if this one seems incorrect let me know and I'll do it properly!

I purchased my S270P from EmperorLinux in the States, originally with SuSE Pro 9.2, then upgraded to SuSE Linux 10.0, and just two weeks ago to openSUSE 10.2. I'm chuffed because for the first time I'm now able to suspend to disk; no power management tools were ever previously possible. The switch to pm-tools in 10.2 seems to have done the trick, and the hibernate is definitely needed because one downside of 10.2 is its slow loading. Alas, suspend to RAM still does nothing and standby isn't even an option I can tick.

Hope you can do something useful with this. Cheers!

Mihaita
Visitor

Hi,

I've done this dump for you from my VGN-SZ4VWN/X laptop. However, I boot up from a Fedora8-live-CD, then did: cat /proc/acpi/dsdt > .bin because I couldn't find any acpidump tool in fedora distribution. Moreover, I run the VISTA OS that came with my laptop and hence the way of using a live-CD.

Hope to find it useful,
Mihai

Xerion
Visitor

Hiya i have already sent quite some time ago my DSDT to Mattia but i dont think it was included to the sony_laptop module.

Anyway i hope this time it will :slight_smile:
Sony Vaio VGN-AR21S with an updated bios version this time though i dont know if there is any difference to the acpi to be honest !

PS. Last time i had an ubuntu live cd and the DSDT i sent to Mattia was using the acpidump from ubuntu.As i am using Gentoo it does not have it in the package manager but it has pmtools that includes acpidump. I dont think there is a problem but should there be feel free to poke me.