Join now - be part of our community!

Camera test on Vaio laptop

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
pbattrick
New

Camera test on Vaio laptop

I have done a clean Vista instal on my VGNTZ21 laptop.  The bulit in camera no longer works on Skype.  How can I test the installation. or get good drivers?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pbattrick,

Is the camera recognised in Device Manager, albeit with a yellow warning symbol? If so download the camera driver from here:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-TZ21MN_N

It is contained in the original drivers package.

The camera driver will need to be updated from within Device Manager using the ‘Have Disk’ method. The file to point to is R5U870FL.inf.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi pbattrick,

Is the camera recognised in Device Manager, albeit with a yellow warning symbol? If so download the camera driver from here:

http://support.vaio.sony.eu/computing/vaio/downloads/preinstalled/index.aspx?l=en_GB&m=VGN-TZ21MN_N

It is contained in the original drivers package.

The camera driver will need to be updated from within Device Manager using the ‘Have Disk’ method. The file to point to is R5U870FL.inf.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pbattrick
New

Hi Rich, Thanks for the advice.  The imaging device shown is a USB Video Device and the drivers show as up to date. Is this right?

regards

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Peter,

It should be listed as a Sony Visual Communications Camera. Update the driver using the method below.

Extract the files from the installation package to a known location.

Click Start > Control Panel.

Double click Device Manager.

Right click the device and select Properties

Click the Driver tab.

Click Update Driver.

Click Browse my computer for driver software.

Click Let me pick from a list...

Click Have Disk....

Click Browse and navigate to the folder where you placed the extracted files.

Click OK.

Click Next.

Click Finish.

Reboot your system if requested.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pbattrick
New

Hi Rich

THanks for the advice.  I've been slow to respond as I have been tracking down an issue with Windows update.  Turns out that Rapport by Trusteer interferes with Windows Update process on Vista.

Anyway, The only Video Device shown by the Device Manager is a USB Video Device and the drivers are up to date according to it.

Would that indicate that my camera has gone walkabout, like my Bluetooth?

regards

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Peter,

The camera is recognised as a USB video device so has not gone missing, it just doesn’t have the correct driver installed.

Download the driver from the link that I provided and then update the driver for that device following the instructions above.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
pbattrick
New

Hi Rich

Many thanks for the successful resolution of my problem - All hail to the Guru!

While I have your attention, my Bluetooth has disappeared and I can find no obvious hardware in the device manager.  I have installed the Bluetooth stack in the device package.

Any clues?

regards

Peter

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Peter,

I’m pleased to hear that the camera is now working :slight_smile:

Re the Bluetooth – did you install the original driver that is part of the original drivers package by running the setup.exe?

Can you look in ‘Services’ (click Start and type Services in the search field) and make sure that ‘Bluetooth Service’ and ‘Bluetooth Support Service’ are listed with status ‘Started’ and startup type ‘Automatic’?

Bluetooth.JPG

Is there a Bluetooth Device Browser listed in Control Panel?

If you have installed ‘Vaio Smart Network’ make sure that you have enabled Bluetooth by double clicking the icon in the system tray and turning on Bluetooth.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat