Join now - be part of our community!

Can´t access to VAIO Recovery Partition using F10 (Windows Vista)

Joyoyo
Visitor

Can´t access to VAIO Recovery Partition using F10 (Windows Vista)

Hi!, I´ve a Sony VAIO FS315S that came with Windows XP preinstalled and also a Recovery Partition. When Windows Vista came out I installed it (ok, the notebook run fine with XP but wanted to install Vista on it)

Now I´ve the following problem: I want to reset my Sony VAIO so it runs Windows XP as it was installed on the fabric (excuse my English, Im Spanish). I tried using F10 when I switch on the notebook but it access Windows Vista boot menu; I´ve also noticed that now I can "see" the recovery partition (6+ gbytes) from My Computer (drive E:)

I´ve tried running the recovery process through that partition (given that F10 doesn´y give me access to the recovery wizard as it did in the past) with no luck.

Also, I don´t have VAIO Tools, Update, etc. for Windows Vista as my notebook was designed for Windows XP

Any idea? Just want my notebook as it was when I switched it on for the first time

Many thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Joyoyo,

as F10 fails to start the recovery process I suspect that you may have deleted or corrupted the recovery partition data.. :slight_frown:

Did you create a set of recovery disc's prior to installing Vista on your FS315S, if not then you can, if you wish, purchase a set of recovery disc's by contacting Sony Vaio support, use the following link to find the contact details: Sony Vaio Support

Joyoyo
Visitor

Thanks for your help Thalamus but, can´t I do something from the Recovery Partition I see on My Computer?

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Joyoyo,

I doubt it as you've tried pressing the F10 key and this does not seem to work.. :slight_frown:

can´t I do something from the Recovery Partition I see on My Computer?

Where can you see the recovery partition and what type of partition is it. :thinking:

Joyoyo
Visitor

Hi again, looks like a normal partition, here´s the link to some pics I took using the snipping tool

http://idisk.mac.com/pablosierrafuentes-Public?view=web

Thanks for your help

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi Joyoyo,

the recovery partition should not be visible as a normal partition, nor should it have a letter assigned to the partition... :thinking:

As I said earlier I think the partition may have been altered when you installed Vista..

Joyoyo
Visitor

Muchas gracias Thalamus; parece que tendré que fastidiarme y pedir esos CDs de recuperación (ni siquiera se lo que me cobrarán..)

Da pena porque tener el numero de serie de mi Windows XP preinstalado y no ser capaz de instalarlo...

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

de nada Joyoyo.. :slight_smile:

Joyoyo
Visitor

Hi Thalamus, I fixed it!

Steps

1.- Insert a Windows XP installation CD
2.- Deleted my partitions (except the Recovery Partition)
3.- Rebooted
4.- Run, again, the Windows XP installation
5.- Recovery Console
6.- Once you´re running it, type:
* FixBOOT (confirm)
* FixMBR (confirm)
7.- Reboot
8.- Your notebook will start from the recovery partition (recovery process)

Problem solved! Now I´ve my Sony VAIO as it came from the shop and, finally, I could create two recovery DVDs 🙂

Hope this helps someone with the same problem I had

Cheers

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

That's excellent news Joyoyo, I'm glad you were able to solve your problem... :clap: