Join now - be part of our community!

Cannot adjust cpu speed from battery life to adaptive in Vaio power settings

sunking101
Visitor

Cannot adjust cpu speed from battery life to adaptive in Vaio power settings

Hi there. In the Vaio battery power settings I cannot adjust from 'battery life' to 'adaptive' etc like I can on the ac power settings. The actual text in the windows box is light grey and I cannot highlight it or use the dropdown - the list is inaccessible. Why is that? My pc is dead slow whilst running on battery power and I want to change the setting to adaptive. Here is a look at the menu I'm on about:

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.en_GB.title
@5528097000005097
Visitor

Hi there. In the Vaio battery power settings I cannot adjust from 'battery life' to 'adaptive' etc like I can on the ac power settings. The actual text in the windows box is light grey and I cannot highlight it or use the dropdown - the list is inaccessible. Why is that? My pc is dead slow whilst running on battery power and I want to change the setting to adaptive. Here is a look at the menu I'm on about:

Hi Sunking101,

have you tried the "reset by default" option in the "advanced" menu?

sunking101
Visitor

Tried that, did nothing. Any other ideas? Presently my pc is useless unless running on mains power, which is a bit pathetic for a laptop!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sunking101,

Some power schemes cannot be edited, instead it is necessary to create a new scheme and then make it active.

To do this with my notebook I right click the battery icon in the system tray and select ‘edit/create profile’. You may also be able to do this in the Power Option Properties by clicking the Advanced button on the Vaio Power Management tab, but as I have a different system I can’t confirm this.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
sunking101
Visitor

Hi sunking101,

Some power schemes cannot be edited, instead it is necessary to create a new scheme and then make it active.

To do this with my notebook I right click the battery icon in the system tray and select ‘edit/create profile’. You may also be able to do this in the Power Option Properties by clicking the Advanced button on the Vaio Power Management tab, but as I have a different system I can’t confirm this.

If I right-click the battery icon in my task bar I get the options 'adjust power properties' or 'open power meter' - that's it. I've tried everything, I cannot adjust the power settings. Why???

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Are there no options for this in Power Option Properties by clicking the ‘Advanced’ button on the Vaio Power Management tab?

If you give your model number then hopefully someone will have first hand knowledge – there are major differences, between models, with power management…

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
sunking101
Visitor

Nope, there's nothing there either. My pc is the BX396XP.

negg
Visitor

If I right-click the battery icon in my task bar I get the options 'adjust power properties' or 'open power meter' - that's it.
Looks like you have the newer version of the VAIO Power Management. Do this:

- go to Control Panel -> Power Options
- do your settings on "Power Schemes" (which is a standard windows dialog) for monitor turnoff and harddisk sleep, then click "Save as..." and save the new settings to a new scheme. Do not close the dialog yet!
- after that click the tab "Vaio Power Management". You should now be able to change all the settings there. Notice that you can however change the CPU-fan settings only on "adaptive" cpu-power setting.

If you still can't change the setting there I have no further advice here...works on my TX.

negg.

sunking101
Visitor

If I right-click the battery icon in my task bar I get the options 'adjust power properties' or 'open power meter' - that's it.
Looks like you have the newer version of the VAIO Power Management. Do this:

- go to Control Panel -> Power Options
- do your settings on "Power Schemes" (which is a standard windows dialog) for monitor turnoff and harddisk sleep, then click "Save as..." and save the new settings to a new scheme. Do not close the dialog yet!
- after that click the tab "Vaio Power Management". You should now be able to change all the settings there. Notice that you can however change the CPU-fan settings only on "adaptive" cpu-power setting.

If you still can't change the setting there I have no further advice here...works on my TX.

negg.

Nope, doesn't work unfortunately.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi sunking101,

I have escalated this to Sony support as it seems that no Club Vaio members have a solution. Please post again if you have not received a response from Vaio-Link within 7 days.

If support does provide assistance then please share the solution with the community.
:slight_smile:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat