Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

andrewdann
Visitor

CD/DVD Drive Problems (DW-D56A)

Hi,

I have a Sony VAIO with a DW-D56A which has recently stopped working.

I can see the drive in explorer, but when a disc is inserted it doesn't "spin up" and I can't read ANY discs.

If I look at the properties for the drive, it shows disc not inserted.
Everything else shows that the CD drive is functioning correctly and there are no error codes.

I have tried to re-flash the firmware (PFS3) with no luck - However at the end of the flash process it does a disc "Inquiry" and then I can read the disc that I left in the drive. If I eject the disc and re-insert or restart the PC I'm back to square one!

Any help would be greatly appreciated - Seems strange that I can read it just after the firmware flash process????

Thanks Andy

81 REPLIES 81
MXMotion
Visitor

Hi Rob,

Have you visited the site and downloaded the appropiate rar file for the DW-D56A drive???? PFS1 - PFS3 i think it is

and do you understand and accept that this will void your warrenty if you proceed from this point my friend.

I need you to understand that what you are about to do could damage/fry your optical drive and I cannot be held accountable.

boydsj
Visitor

I had trouble with my dw56 drive also (though not as bad as most on here). I downloaded PFS1 - PFS3 from Vaio Update and my drive is now working correctly again.

MXMotion
Visitor

I am avoiding the Sony updates for DW-D56A like "the plague"

I used them and got nowhere real quick

Each to their own I suppose - I prefered the patched firmwares myself

Peace out
Motion

kresh
Visitor

Hi to all.
Hi have "the problem" with the d56a and , tired I've decided to replace it with another model, i tried with the q520a, but the system was not running and I restored the original config.
do you know a list of compatible dvd drives?

Thank you for the help!

Is there someone out here able to tell me what dvd-burner is compatible with the FS-series? Mine is dead and I want to replace it by a model capable of recieving my old FS-series-faceplate.
Thanks a lot!

rminelli
Visitor

hi everybody
how long are these thead?
I tried to read from the begining but they are too long, so I starded from the end. I intend there are many people who have drive problems. I wrote in the past because I couldn't burn any DVD the some now, all sony software failed. So I thought perhaps is a drive problem, I don't know, but I saw many people have drive problem and I am thinking this is really the problem. I upgradet the drive firmware, but nothing, I could burn a video only with movie maker.....

sks
Visitor

OH OH PLEASE HELP ME TOOOOO
i have the same problems.. driving me nuts
pleeeeeeeeeease tell me where to download and how to get my drive working.
thaaaank you
sharad
ss@africaonline.co.ke

Hi,

Your not going to beleive this........... I have tamed the beast... I have stuffed "the pig", to cut along story short I have managed to get my drive back in operational condition. i found a site that had all three firmware updates for the drive. I replaced with the first and it failed, then I put PFS 2 in and hey presto it works a treat!!!! I have also BLOCKED Sony update and Sony entertainment from entering my laptop to see if that keeps my drivers in there now OPERATIONAL condition. I knew this farce was software... it had to be!!!! too many folks drives failing at the same time for my taste

anyways bud keep it real downtown

Motion

GE90
Visitor

Right, I finally gave up and bought a new drive for my A4497XP.

I purchased a Sony DW-Q58A drive, and fitted it in 15 mins. Windows XP detected the drive, and it is currently working faultlessly!

Good luck, and I certainly recommend fitting an alternative drive!

snionios
Visitor

I am using vgn-a295hp since 2004 and the drive (dw 56A) is doing its tricks just now after all this time.
I've tried to clean the lens and its working a bit not for long though. The bad thing is that im using Linux (Fedora Core8) so the firmaware thing wont apply for me. I cant apply the firmware patches through linux and i cant install windows due to the inability to read optical disks. I 've searched at the retailer chains here in Greece and the only drive they sell for laptops (i guess it can be applied not sure though) is an LG one (LG GSA-T20NBB http://www.e-shop.gr/show_per.phtml?id=PER.330615 the link is in greek but that doesnt change much) but will it work or not?.

So far i've read i got the idea that DW 56A is a non working drive so i'll need to order online a drive but not sure which alterntive drive can be applied and working. i saw some people getting DW Q58A but i could use the info on the retailer they bought it from or can i just go to a sony retailer and ask them that model do they sell them like that?.

matt80
Visitor

snionios, i found some on ebay, they are selling for about US$40 and are in used condition.
they come with or without the bezel(front plate).
Hope that helps.