Join now - be part of our community!

CD/DVD Not working (Code 19?)

SOLVED
roblear71
New

CD/DVD Not working (Code 19?)

Hi I can see others have had this problem but all solutions are dated a while ago, here goes.

Sony Vaio VPCL12M1E, Windows 7, DVD/CD ROM Optiarc DVD RW AD 7700S ATA Device, with yellow warning in Device Manager. Although system tries to open CD/DVD nothing happens and the drive is not found when searching 'COMPUTER' Memory stick function fine. 

Tried Microsoft Fix It - useless - claims there is no problem.De installed and then re installed device (not via internet). A little worried about registry rebuild and bit about saving settings in case of error. So download new driver or rebuild registry or???

I'm semi competent around computers, however, any clear instructions which will sort would be appreciated.

Many thanks

ROB

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Rob,

You may very well already have read the following on the forum and this will almost certainly solve your problem.

If Device Manager is reporting an error code of 19, 31, 32, 37 or 39 for the drive then it is probably a registry problem. I recommend that you backup your registry before proceeding, have a look here if you are unfamiliar with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Then:

1.Click Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter. Or type Regedit in the search field and then double click on Regedit (under Programs)

2. Navigate to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and locate UpperFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software – but not necessarily.

If there is anything within these instructions that you are not sure of then let us know.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Rob,

You may very well already have read the following on the forum and this will almost certainly solve your problem.

If Device Manager is reporting an error code of 19, 31, 32, 37 or 39 for the drive then it is probably a registry problem. I recommend that you backup your registry before proceeding, have a look here if you are unfamiliar with this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756

Then:

1.Click Start > Run and type: REGEDIT , and hit enter. Or type Regedit in the search field and then double click on Regedit (under Programs)

2. Navigate to - HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} and locate UpperFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

3. Under the same Registry Key locate LowerFilters, (if available) right click on this and select Delete and then OK.

4. Quit Registry Editor and re-boot the computer, new registry values will be created.

After you remove the Upperfilters value and the Lowerfilters value, you may possibly need to re-install your burning software – but not necessarily.

If there is anything within these instructions that you are not sure of then let us know.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
roblear71
New

Many thanks Rich, 24 hrs on....Somehow the CD/DVD Optiarc has mended itself and no warning triangle!!.. I'd not changed anything knowingly? I have now copied across from a CD disc (which can now be read) some tunes for ITunes. ITunes on start up stated that 'the registry settings used by the ITunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs is missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software- please reinstall ITunes". I have not installed any CD burning drivers for years if at all on this computer. I reinstalled iTunes twice and this warning has now gone and importantly the tunes were imported, so perhaps the problem has now been solved. So for now many thanks again and if it re occurs or changes I'll be back as they say.

Best wishes

ROB 06/02/2014

Tags (2)