Join now - be part of our community!

CD ROM not recognised by my Vaio PCG-Z600NE

reggie
Visitor

CD ROM not recognised by my Vaio PCG-Z600NE

Folks

I'd be greatful for any ideas - I've tried solving this myself for over a year but to no avail.

I have a Vaio PCG-Z600NE. Ages ago I upgraded the OS from the supplied Windows 98 to Windows ME, using the Sony downloads for drivers etc. For ages all worked fine.

But now the Viao won't recognise the Sony PCGA-CD51 CDROM originally supplied.

When I start up, if I go to My Computer/CDROM Drive E, the drive wirrs but the screen reports an empty drive - whatever CD I put in it (including Sony support CD).

I've tried "unplug hardware" and taking out the card and then putting it back in.

Under control panel/system/device manager/CDRom is shown a Toshiba CD-ROM XM-7002BC. Properties for this reports device working properly. Driver reports Microsoft Consumer Window Pubisher driver. If I try to update driver it searches but reports : best driver already in use at C:Windows\inf\MSCDRom.inf

Under Control panel/system/device manager/PC card is shown Sony 168bit Atapi PC Card at location 0 on Ricoh RL5C475 cardbus controller.

Any ideas ?

Also (and not sure if this is linked) if I don't plus in the USM floppy dribve befre starting the computer, it doesn't start but hangs.

In all other respects the computer appears to work fine ! I've Norton AV installed and updated and it says I'm virus free !!

Many thanks

Reggie

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Sounds like the drive has died, or have you had this problem for a year?

reggie
Visitor

Kee-Lo

Thanks for your reply.

Yes, I have had the problem for over a year - any ideas how I can test whether it's the drive that's died or another problem(e.g. software/BIOS etc problem ?)

Unfortunately my only other CD Rom is integral to my desktop computer so I can't use that to test the Vaio computer, and my desktop doesn't (?) have a PCA card slot to test the drive on that one.

Are there any test routines/Bios/driver checks etc that i can do on the Vaio to test whether it is the drive that's died ? (in which case presumably it's cheapest just to by another - in which case do I buy another sony vaio drive or doesn't it matter ??)

Best wishes and thanks again

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You could try Nero Info Tool, but I doubt it'll help ( www.ahead.de )

You need to ask a friend if you can test it on his laptop.