Join now - be part of our community!

Changing display modes in the XL301 and a CRT TV?!

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Changing display modes in the XL301 and a CRT TV?!

Hi...

Just looking to pick the brains of anyone who's got a sec...

I am trying to get a sony Vaio XL PC to display on a CRT tv. This involves using a converter (this one here...

http://www.js-technology.com/product...products_id=52

) to feed into the scart socket on the TV.

Here's the problem: so far I can
a) see the bios screen
b) see the (C) Microsoft boot screen
all well and good, BUT
c) then the TV goes into a weird flickering. I am assuming this is due to the PC using a video mode the TV can't cope with.

I tried booting into safe mode, figuring I could then change the video settings and reboot, and this looked all set to work, as in I got further in the overall boot sequence and could still see when a dialogue popped up. BUT (gnrrr) that dialogue then set it couldn't finish Windows Setup in Safe Mode! So, since it is a new PC, it is evidently doing some kind of initial installation thingy which I'll need to go through to get to the video settings. The trick is I can't see it so I don't know what to press!

Does anyone have any experience or ideas for a workaround? I'm beginning to wonder if the only solution isn't to just find another monitor, but as I don't have one in the house (all the other machines are macs with integrated screens) this is non-trivial...

Any help or thoughts much appreciated!
LondonJ

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi londonj and welcome to Club Vaio.

From what you say, you can see low resolution VGA output at 640 X 480 until Windows starts and increases the screen resolution.

I would try progressively reducing the resolution until it works. Also try switching to progressive scan and see if that works.

The XL-Series do not work well with anything but a HDMI connection. You will be unable to watch any protected DVD/BD in any resolution over 576i due to HDCP (High Definition Content Protection)

:wink:

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Hi Blencogo,

First thanks for the welcome!

Second...yeah, eventually I will upgrade the box and it'll all be HDMI but I'm a bit reluctant because the picture on my CRT is much better than most LCDs!

But Third...please help me if I'm being daft. Is there a way of progressively reducing the resolution? The problem is I can't see anything that would enable me to do this: do you know if there's a keypress or bios setting or anything?

Cheers,
Londonj

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Londonj,

From the Classic View of the Windows Vista Control Panel, click the NVIDIA Control Panel icon.

Have a look at the TV Settings or Resolution Settings. You will need to have the TV connected.

I don't have the same model as you - I expect someone with the same model will be along shortly with better instructions.

:wink:

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Ah...that's the bit I'm struggling with though. I'm not able to see the Classic view because nothing beyond the boot screen will display. Does this mean I need to find a monitor?
Londonj

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Sorry - yes I see the problem.

A monitor is probably the best bet. You only have Component and HDMI outputs.
The nVidia card automatically detects the display in use - perhaps the converter box is confusing it and preventing the correct output.

The only other option is to tap F5 continuously when you boot up the Vaio (at the time you see the first VAIO logo). This should open the Windows Startup Options window where you can select VGA Mode with the up/down arrows and then press enter. This will give a big display but may allow you to change the settings. You really need someone who has done this to help as some options are not displayed unless a TV is connected.

:thinking:

ChalkyWhite71
Visitor

Hello LondonJ,

I have a similar predicament in that i want to output SCART from the XL201 to feed a wireless video sender which only supports SCART or S-Video.

The link to that gadget in your post doesn't work. Which precise model did you buy, and I'd be interested to learn of how you get on. The output TV is a small LCD screen in the kitchen, but i guess i'll be restricted by the frequency/resolution that the AEI video sender (an Argos item) can handle.

Regards, Chalky

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Basically I gave up, but you might be able to get this to work.

There didn't seem to be any way of configuring the PC to display lower video modes without first attaching it to a monitor that could display higher res. This meant I could never boot windows etc. I could run the Windows installer, off the CD, which is low-res, and see that through the TV ok, so the component->scart->crt tv daisy chain worked, and the component->RGB converter box evidently functions ok. I just bought a new tv instead as I lost patience 😉

I would expect what you're looking to do is achievable using the same unit...see if this link works:

http://www.js-technology.com/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=52&osCsid=e32f68ad06b68090737d60d...