Join now - be part of our community!

Changing the OS

profile.country.sv_SE.title
Adamitoo
Visitor

Changing the OS

Hi there, my first post here!

I've recently recevied a Vaio VGN - S270B from a friend and now I wanted to install Linux on it just for work and internet.
Now i've discovered that the DVD is not working so i decided to fix Linux on a USB-stick.
But now I can't access any boot menu? Even though i press F8 i can't seem to get any "simple" boot menu wich lets me boot from the USB and install Linux.
And I can't add any option in the Bios for it to search the USB first before it searches the HDD.
And I've done this before from a USB and I cant get it to work on this laptop... What should I do?

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.de_BE.title
stephanius
Visitor

While VAIOs that shipped with Vista or Windows 7 do support booting from USB, XP based system don't necessarily support it.

The DVD drive in the S Series should be a standard 12.7mm thick drive that you could replace (they are cheap these days). It's a good idea to look up the details of the old drive, so you are sure you don't buy one with the wrong interface (I think this one is ATA, but it might be SATA). Also, if you get a drive from the same manufacturer, the cover will in most cases fit.

Alternatively, look for an external optical drive with a PCMCIA interface and use that.

Adamitoo
Visitor

Thanks for the info! :slight_smile: 

I just opened the case up and found the model name: UJDA755

So a regular SLIM-drive with S/ATA won't do it.
Good news is that they have plenty of them on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=ujda755&_clu=2&_dmpt=PCC_Drives_Storage_Internal&_fcid=192&_localst...

Bad news, I live in Europe so I have to wait extra long and everyone doesnt want to send all the way to europe.
But this seems to be the only way for me.

Edit:
I forgot to ask something else.
This was even before I opened up everything:
When I got the PC I did a recory (Restored it to fabrics) so that everything was as new.
After that I keep getting bluescreens when turning the WIFI-on on the switch.
Any solution to that?

Message was edited by: Adamitoo

Message was edited by: Adamitoo

stephanius
Visitor

You should be able to find European offers for the drive.

The system should run fine with the factory recovery. If it doesn't, the chance is very high that hardware isn't ok.

I'd make sure the wireless module is hasn't been shaken loose. The wireless switch itself could be broken or damaged and may not reliably stay in either state. Make sure you haven't assembled the chassis with the slider not matching the actual switches position.

Adamitoo
Visitor

stephanius wrote:

You should be able to find European offers for the drive.

The system should run fine with the factory recovery. If it doesn't, the chance is very high that hardware isn't ok.

I'd make sure the wireless module is hasn't been shaken loose. The wireless switch itself could be broken or damaged and may not reliably stay in either state. Make sure you haven't assembled the chassis with the slider not matching the actual switches position.

I have been searching but can not find any realiable reseller.
I rather pay a little extra and get it from ebay from someone with good ratings (the dvd is pretty cheap anyway).

Thats the thing. When i opened up the case was looking at the Wifi card to see any damage but couldnt notice anything. The card is intact and the switch to. It's only when I switch the wifi on that hell realeses its fury upon this laptop.
Have no idea what to do...

stephanius
Visitor

Hmm, did you check for a connection problem? I know that releasing and reinserting the card isn't so super handy due to the delicate antenna connectors, but I think it's your best bet. If you have any replacement cards at hand (something like this card should be in nearly any other notebook that's not too recent) you can try if that works any better. Mind to take care of the drivers if it's a different chipset.