Join now - be part of our community!

Clean install of XP on Vaio VGN-T2XP Can't get Audio working

matd
Visitor

Clean install of XP on Vaio VGN-T2XP Can't get Audio working

Hi,

Having experienced a lot of errors relating to BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSOD, usbuhci.sys and ialmrnt5 errors in Windows XP using the factory installed edition of XP i decide to do a clean install of XP from CD.

The laptop appears to be a lot more stable now apart from me having to go through the very labourious task of installing all drivers and just the apps and utils that i need.

The main problem i am having relates to the Realtek HD Audio driver.

Whenever i try and install it, the setup tells me :

"Microsoft Bus driver should be loaded in your system before installing Realtek HD Audio driver !"

I have installed the Chipset drive and also a couple of Microsoft hotfixes, noteably KB835221 and kb888111 but i still can't get the audio driver to install.

I have tried the original audio driver, the updated audio driver from the vaio support site and even the latest Realtek audio driver direct from their website and i'm still getting the MS bus error and the install just fails.

The onboard sound chip is working fine as it worked when i used the factory restored install of XP.

Any ideas please?

10 REPLIES 10
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi matd and welcome to Club Vaio.

You are confusing me because the VGN-T2XP does not have a Realtec Soundcard and does not even have High Definition Audio.

Are you talking about a VGN-TX2XP?

Try uninstalling BOTH the Microsoft Hotfixes and just installing ONE of them - KB835221. Then try to install the original driver again.

:thinking:

matd
Visitor

actually you're right, its a SoundMAX integrated digital audio chip...

i'm sure the driver on the vaio europe support site offers the only audio download for the t2xp as a Realtek driver?

matd
Visitor

i can't actually see either hotfix listed in add/remove programs. They definately installed without giving any error or other reason that they hadn't installed successfully..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If it is definitely a T2XP, I would try installing the driver for the Analog Devices AD1981B 16-bit CD-quality stereo sound AC 97 2.3 chip - this is the chip normally installed in the VGN-T2XP.

You can download the driver version 5.12.01.4060-040810 as part of the Original Drivers Package for the VGN-T2XP from here: -

http://support.vaio.sony.co.uk/downloads/preinstalled/preinstalled.asp?site=voe_en_GB_cons&m=1818

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

its defintately the vgn-t2xp and it had a realtek audio chip in it. Sony provide Realtek audio hd drivers?

I'll try uninstalling the hotfixes as you suggest

Hi matd,

According to your T2xp specification your Vaio has a Analogue Devices AD1981B 16-bit CD-quality stereo sound AC 97 2.3 sound chip..

To view the your vaio's specifications use the following link: T2XP Specifications

You can download the Original Drivers Package using the following link: TX2 Original Drivers

Hopefully once you have installed these drivers you should then have sound on your Vaio.. :slight_smile:

matd
Visitor

thanks for your help with this.

Before i got your replies i actually did an F10 at boot up and restored the T2XP to factory settings. I updated all the drivers to the latest versions using the Update utility. I also downloaded and installed all the available Windows Updates.

The problem i am getting which happens completely randomly is a sudden Blue Screen of Death which contains the following errors :

BUGCODE_USB_DRIVER BSOD

or

usbuhci.sys

Both seem to relate to USB.

Most of the time i don't have anything connected to either of the USB ports and on the odd occasion i might use a Microsoft Intellimouse. I get the BSOD in both situations.

Can you tell me why these BSOD might be occuring and how i can fix it please?

I've just about lost my patients with this laptop and its simply not reliable any more. Since owning it, its had a new motherboard, screen, keyboard and hard disk all repaired under warranty so i'm just about ready to eBay the thing if i can't get this USB issue sorted out!

Please help!

matd
Visitor

i've seen errors like this before and most people point to drivers or ram...

as all of the drivers are up to date i do remember the memory performance setting in the bios was set to high - i'm not sure if this makes much difference to performance?

i've changed it to normal and will post back to let you know if i actually get some stability now....

matd
Visitor

No sign of the USB errors so far but i've just had another BSOD this time :

BAD_POOL_CALLER

Any ideas please?

matd
Visitor

anyone?