Join now - be part of our community!

Clean install vs Sony's image: what am I missing?

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Clean install vs Sony's image: what am I missing?

Now, lest this post should go the way of the previous one, let me just say that all of Sony's custom software and add-ons that are installed in the Vaio XL301 that I have are really, really good.

That said, I got fed up with not being able to make them work. I got pretty bemused that a thousand-pound product has as many faults as this. So I did a fresh install of Vista.

After the obligatory driver-updating I seem to have a system which is far more stable. It also stays in the display mode I want (720p) without switching around so much. For example, it doesn't jump through three display modes when switching to Media Center.

I only have one recurrent problem: the display doesn't come back sometimes when I wake it from sleep. I hope someone is figuring out a fix to this...

But here's my question: what I am missing by going this route? It would be helpful if people could volunteer if they foresee me encountering any problems? So far I reckon:

- The volume buttons on the keyboard don't work: never use them so can live with this;
- I have a feeling the DVD eject button doesn't work
- the memory card reader is using the built-in driver rather than a proprietary one and is slightly less user-friendly.

Anything else I am missing? I don't think I'll use Adobe Elements or anything, but I'd like to know if I'm missing anything crucial or really good (e.g. WinDVD?).

Thanks for any thoughts,
Londonj

0 REPLIES 0