Join now - be part of our community!

Clicking on my AR21S

Gadjet1963
Visitor

Clicking on my AR21S

Hi,

Posted new thread and not on other click thread thought nobody would read it with problem being 40 pages on other makes.

Is there a solution for click problem on AR21S laptops or has anyone else got it.
Myself and my wife watch tv on laptop in bed and that click is driving us crazy, especially wife. It gets more annoying each time, tonight Gemma watched Eastenders on BBC3 at 10pm downstairs cos of noise. Sad for expensive equipment.

Once again I would love to find an answer and grateful of help.

Cheers phill

8 REPLIES 8
pmitev
Visitor

It is not the same model but the problem is rather general. Have a look here and then here to see if you are ready for such solutions.

profile.country.GB.title
mrjingles-suzuki
New

Hello

The only solution you have is to replace your AR21S.
I bought my first AR21S in october 2006 and it it kept clicking and buzzing.( look at my past posts on this site). It was driving me mad. At the time I contacted Vaio support and was told the cause was the hard drive tracking arm. Apparently the arm kept clipping the edge of the wheel. An update was supposed to correct the problem, but I am still waiting for it to appear. It didn't arrive by the end of october. So it went back.
My new AR21S does not make the same noise. Now I am Happy. :slight_smile:
Sony will fix the problem under the warranty, if you have had it longer than 30 days and under 12 months. If you have had it less than 30 days, Sony have to replace the computer(by law they have to)
Hope this helps.

prednisolon
Visitor

Having spent almost £2,000 I expect some quality from my laptop but this is really driving me mad. Whenever i play games or watch TV this sound problem appears. First i thought it may be a sound card issue but it seems like its something that i dont have a clue with. This is disgrace for Sony anybody with a solution would be much appericiated!

Hello

The only solution you have is to replace your AR21S.
I bought my first AR21S in october 2006 and it it kept clicking and buzzing.( look at my past posts on this site). It was driving me mad. At the time I contacted Vaio support and was told the cause was the hard drive tracking arm. Apparently the arm kept clipping the edge of the wheel. An update was supposed to correct the problem, but I am still waiting for it to appear. It didn't arrive by the end of october. So it went back.
My new AR21S does not make the same noise. Now I am Happy. :slight_smile:
Sony will fix the problem under the warranty, if you have had it longer than 30 days and under 12 months. If you have had it less than 30 days, Sony have to replace the computer(by law they have to)
Hope this helps.

profile.country.GB.title
mrjingles-suzuki
New

I spoke to Sony technical support and was informed it was the hard drive. I thought it was the sound card because the clicking was coming from just beneath the keyboard and turning the laptop over made the clicking louder. Sony do not make hard drives. They are aware of the problem.
I do not know if the AR21S has 2 hard drives or just the 1, but the noise kept me wanting to throw this machine out of the window.
www.nexttronics.com is a good source for knowing about the insides of your laptop so keep this address handy. They haven't managed to add the AR21S to their database, but they will.

pmitev
Visitor

I don't have to repeat myself but apparently I will do it.
It is not SONY's fault (this doesn't mean that the SONY support isn't c#@p). As I said before - try to run DOS or some LiveCD Linux or whatever distribution - you will not hear the clicking anymore. If you want - blame Windows. I have seen this problem on many other machines and on Internet one can find even more on the subject.
Anyway, I still think that the responsibility is for VAIO support and they have to offer you/us a solution. If you have your computer under a warranty, feel free to return/replace/complain to your distributor. This is the right thing to do.

profile.country.en_GB.title
haal-kh98
Visitor

Does this "Clicking" problem happen with AR21M? (Cuz i was thinking of buying it)Or only with the Blue-ray modesl? Seems this problem is occuring with the models which are equipped with the built-in Blue-ray drive, (i dont know and not sure either but just guessing) could it be the source of the problem?

profile.country.GB.title
mrjingles-suzuki
New

According to Sony, it has nothing to do with the Blu-ray drive. It is a hard drive problem.
Something inside the Bios is not telling where the hard drive arm should sit and it is hitting the edge of the hard drive wheel. :smileygrin:

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

You should contact VAIO-Link if it's within warranty period and it's not sounding right.