Join now - be part of our community!

Constant disk activity on Vaio VGN-NS20Z and VGN-FW31E

profile.country.en_GB.title
davfogwi
Visitor

Constant disk activity on Vaio VGN-NS20Z and VGN-FW31E

Hi

I have 2 Vaios which both have the above problem.

Both are running Vista and I've tried closing down processes to the bare minimum to isolate the program that is causing this but to no avail.  I've also tried disk defrag but this didn't help either.

This is impacting on battery life when not using the laptops on the mains and has been a frustration since I got the laptops.

Can anyone offer a solution, please?

Regards,

Dave

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave.

It sounds like the Windows Search Indexing Service may be to blame.  This regularly indexes your hard drive to speed up Windows Search and has been a controversial addition to Windows Vista SP1.

Try either cutting down what is being indexed or (as most people do) just disable the service.

You will find a usefull guide to doing this here: -

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/speed-up-or-disable-windows-search-indexing-in-vista/

I presume you have run a full anti-virus scan just in case??

:thinking:

davfogwi
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thank you.

When I read your suggestion, I thought that it was the solution as I thought that indexing is what is going on.

I've run the virus check again and nothing was found on either PC.  I use AVG 2012.

I made the changes to Windows Search as you suggested and rebooted both laptops but they are both exhibiting the same original problem.

Could there be a Vaio service which indexes too?

Regards,

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I don't use Vaio Media Plus but it is possible that it indexes your music, video and photos.

If you don't use it you could try disabling (at your own risk) some of the following services: -

VAIO Entertainment Database Service

VAIO Entertainment File Import Service

VAIO Media Plus Content Importer

VAIO Media Plus Device Searcher

VAIO Media Plus Digital Media Server

Only try this if you don't use any part of Sony Entertainment.

davfogwi
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thank you for the suggestion but the disk activity lights on both laptops are still flashing away after trying this and then re-booting.

Regards,

Dave

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Dave.

If you Google for "constant hard disc activity vista" you will see that you are not alone.

Probably why I do not run Vista on anything any more!

Sorry - no more ideas but good luck in your quest.

davfogwi
Visitor

Hi Blencogo

Thank you for your help with this.

Both your suggestions made sense but I guess it was not to be.  I have a vague recollection of having McAfee antivirus on both machines and removing it when the licences expired.  Maybe some of it has been left behind?

I'll Google it later when I get home.

One day I'll get to the bottom of it!!

Regards,

Dave