Join now - be part of our community!

Cooling in the RS222

Fido
Visitor

Cooling in the RS222

Ive just got the rs222 (its the athlon 2800+), and its acting like a mini radiator. According the to bios the chip runs up to 65 C, and the hot air being pumped our the back is non stop. I called sony and they seem to think that 65 c is perfectly normal, but im not convinced its very good for the pc. Can anyone out there give a second oppinion?

Also, when i turn the computer on, the fans run at full speed, but after a while they slow right down, is there a way to manage their speed from windows?
Thanks for any help, nick

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
robpaxton
Explorer

65C for an Athlon is OK

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Ive just got the rs222 (its the athlon 2800+), and its acting like a mini radiator. According the to bios the chip runs up to 65 C, and the hot air being pumped our the back is non stop. I called sony and they seem to think that 65 c is perfectly normal, but im not convinced its very good for the pc. Can anyone out there give a second oppinion? 

Also, when i turn the computer on, the fans run at full speed, but after a while they slow right down, is there a way to manage their speed from windows?
Thanks for any help, nick

Nick,

No need to worry, as Rob said 65 C is moderate for an AMD Athlon XP, you shouldn't let it get > 70 when 100% CPU, well not much more. Most new processors run > 70 C @ 100% CPU usage. It's quite common nowadays. At least cooling systems are getting quieter.

As for your fans, Sony have implimented a system which slows the fans down when you're not using the CPU a lot. For example, Word Processing. This uses around 5% CPU. There are pleanty of websites to investigate heating, cooling and CPU usage. Google is your friend :slight_smile:

Fido
Visitor

Ok, thanks for your help :slight_smile: