Join now - be part of our community!

CPU throttling on A217M

Simebaby
Visitor

CPU throttling on A217M

Hi

Does anyone know how to force the CPU speed up on the A217M. I've tried changing the options in the power management settings (adjusted for performance on battery power), but this doesn't seem to increase the speed from 221Mhz. The CPU doesn't seem to want to throttle up when plugged back into a mains supply, either.

TIA

Si

12 REPLIES 12
TygerTyger
Visitor

As far as I know, the processor clock speed goes up and down when you need it to save power/boost your performance. If you look again when running a game or something, it will no doubt have jumped to the maximum. Rest assured it is working at full when it needs to. If you only had 200Mhz I doubt XP would even start.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

It's speedstep technology, it knows when to throttle

Woody27
Visitor

I wish they did something similar for my brain! :smileygrin:

CW

profile.country.GB.title
jammold
Explorer

EMLOL Woody!:smileylaugh:

Simebaby
Visitor

That's the problem - when running flash applications in IE, the CPU speed is stuck at 221Mhz, and the apps run cripplingly slow. It's fine when plugged into the mains, it runs at 1.6Ghz (stock speed), and there are no slow down issues.

TygerTyger
Visitor

Ah now that is odd.......and I can't really think of a good way helping you, I'm pretty sure there's no effective way of manually boosting the speed up and down.

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Check you're not using adaptive mode on battery

Simebaby
Visitor

At work at the moment but I'll check when I get in. Thanks!

If it is set to adaptive mode, what would it need to be set to - performance? (that's what it's set to on mains power, iirc).

TygerTyger
Visitor

Yeah it should be performance.