Join now - be part of our community!

Cpu upgrade (vaio vgn-fe31b/w)

Dannienam
New

Cpu upgrade (vaio vgn-fe31b/w)

I have an old but cherished laptop, vaio vgn-fe31b/w, which is uncommin in U.K. However, the cpu of this laptop is celeron m 430. The performance of this celeron is too bad to handle the newest internet pages although I already upgraded the ram and ssd, and swifted the OS to light linux. The reason that I struggle to utilize this laptop is  this computer is so special to my family. If possible, I want to use this device more 10 years from now on. So, I need your help.

Can I change my cpu into the core 2 duo model? If not, is there another processor that will perform better than celeron m 430?

Please help me.

Thank you all in advance.

Tags (1)
1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you have a VGN-FE31B it has a Intel Centrino Duo processor -Intel Core 2 Duo T5500 / 1.66 GHz.

The top-of-the-range VGN-FE31Z has the Intel Core 2 Duo T5600 / 1.83 GHz so this would probably be OK.

There are 22 Intel Merom processors that will fit in the same socket M - BGA479. The most powerful is the T7800 @ 2.6GHz although the T7600 @ 2.333MHz may be a better match as it uses the same 34 watts and may be less likely to overheat. This would give something like a 30% increase in performance and only you can say if it is worth the cost.

I do not know anyone who has tried it, so the risk is yours!!

:wink: