Join now - be part of our community!

Custom built Vaio - Delivery dates not true - CS yet to reply to my email/calls

samkma
Explorer

Custom built Vaio - Delivery dates not true - CS yet to reply to my email/calls

ordered a VAIO customisable laptop on 17th Nov 2013, and was given confirmed delivery dates between 27th - 29th Nov, the build period estimate before I paid was 10 days. I received an email upon receipt "We will send you another email advising when your laptop is going into production." It's now been just over 10 days and the delivery dates are well passed, and I've not received any such email, my online order status "Our factory has received your order and has scheduled production of your unit", meaning presumably that the build hasn't started yet. The order status still reads "Your VAIO order is being custom built for you" and has remained like this since I ordered it.  I contacted SONY UK sales and the member of staff took my contact details and said will call back with an update but has failed to do so Has anybody else here experienced extensive build times when ordering their VAIO?

How long does it take? the laptop is for my teenage daughter for her Birthday on 5th Dec and am afraid it will be her by then, maybe if I am assured that it will be here before Christmas I can buy her something else for B'day and give the laptop as a Christmas present!

Any help much appreciated as I do not want to disappoint my daughter.

9 REPLIES 9
takrzem

Samkma,

I share your concern but - sadly! - as with everything that is customisable and built to the specific requirements there is always a great chance that things will be late. Computer industry is no exception, the same happens with cars and I hear a lot of stories that in some case delivery can slip by couple of months (!).

In my case (fully fitted and up-specc'd SVF15A1C5ER) it was merely only a week of such slippage, but inevitably added 50% more time (original delivery dates were two weeks, I eventually got it after three and a bit). So there's a slim chance that your situation might be similar as estimates are always based on the best endeavours and our world is not perfect.

I would patiently await further update - once you get an e-mail with 'laptop ready to be shipped' it is a matter of few days before it gets delivered to you.

And I would also start thinking about how would you approach your daughter with such news... If I were her, I would understand though (but again: that's me!).

In either case: fingers crossed that you will get it in time!

samkma
Explorer

Hi Takrzem,

Thank you for the response, I have made my daughter aware of the situation ( so had to break the surprise to her early!!) She is fine as long as it arrives in time for Christmas!

No response from Sony to my emails and telephone calls, which is annoying!

samkma
Explorer

At last the reply has come - but still not looking good! So no explanation for the delay and also no updates ?

Your order will enter production 06.12.2013 and is due to leave the factory around 15.12.2013.

We apologize for the delay in production. 
takrzem

:slight_frown:

I guess it must be something to do with manufacturing issues encountering earlier or potential shortage of components, this sort of delay is surely not common.

I would give SONY Sales guys a call and request more details, but would not hope for anything apart from delivery itself as per dates indicated.

If I may ask out of interest: which model did you order?

samkma
Explorer

Model ordered SVF1531C5E

Update on order of vaio:

Order status "Production of your unit has started in our factory"

Sony offered me a Voucher as compensation for delay bought my daughter a head phone and memory card - order arrived today (day after her B'day) a happy girl. Now fingers crossed for the Vaio to arrive by Christmas.

My daughter means all to me. She works so hard at School and volunteer's at a kids club every Friday's evening after School, so these are gifts that she deserves! 

takrzem

This is great news and I think that you will really get it before Xmas - it's admittedly very tight but let's hope for the best!

samkma
Explorer

Finally, the laptop has been shipped from SONY China!

Approximate delivery 16th & 17th Dec.

takrzem

I knew my crossed fingers would help :slight_smile:

You should also have received a tracking link by now, I think, so you can track the package's whereabouts. Tell us when you eventually receive it - I really hope that pre-Xmas rush will not have any impact on delivery dates to you.

pmlcocj
Explorer

I've got quite good experience with my order. I ordered custom made Vaio Pro 13 on 19.11, with expected delivery 28-29.11. Assembly started on 22.11. and expected delivery moved between 29.11. and 4.12. On 27.12. they shipped it from China factory, delivered in Europe on Friday 29.11.