Join now - be part of our community!

Daft newbie question about playing DVDs in Media Center

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Daft newbie question about playing DVDs in Media Center

Hi

I have an XL301 hooked up to a tv via component now and the whole media center front-end works very well for TV/DVR stuff.

Last night I also tried putting in a dvd for the first time. Media center jumped into 480p and started playing, but I have to say it didn't look as good as when I put the same disk into the cheapo sony dvd/receiver on the next shelf up, which is connected by scart. It also meant the Media center menu was displayed in 480p and consequently relatively murky...

So my question was...is there a better setting I should use? Is this to do with the codec being used to play the DVD? Is that upgradeable?

Thanks to anyone who can help me out!
Londonj

5 REPLIES 5
littlebucko
Visitor

hi londonj it could be a few things

(bad scartlead)
(bad settings)try to change them
(it also may be the type of disk as some have better quality on some dvd players)

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Londonj,

This is a limitation of a fully HDCP machine like the XL301. It only works properly if you have a HDMI connection to your display.

You can only play protected media (Commercial DVDs) in high resolution through the HDMI output. The Component Output is limited to a maximum of 576i/p when playing copyright protected media (presumably to stop illegal copying).

All this is in your manual.

:wink:

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Hi Blencogo - thanks!

As for the manual...well I got three or four booklets from Sony but none were what I would call a manual or user guide. The biggest was called 'Warnings' or 'Restrictions' or something similar.

That's really useful though - I guess I should just switch the machine over so it's connected using HDMI.

Londonj

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

As for the manual...well I got three or four booklets from Sony but none were what I would call a manual or user guide. The biggest was called 'Warnings' or 'Restrictions' or something similar.

Hi londonj,

there should be an PDF manual on your Vaio, if you can't locate it you can also download a copy from HERE

johnmforsyth
Visitor

Thanks folks...hooked up by HDMI and it works. I'm sure it depends on the TV as well etc., but to my eyes HDMI gives a better picture than component.