Join now - be part of our community!

Dead Key Function possible with UK Keyboard

profile.country.nl_NL.title
peterjansz
Visitor

Dead Key Function possible with UK Keyboard

:devil: The BAD NEWS
On Sony VAIO (Vista) laptops (in my case a VAIO VGN FE41S), equipped with an UK Keyboard, it is impossible with the setting language (Dutch) and keyboard (English) to use the Microsoft Office ‘Dead Key’ function. This function is very comfortable (A MUST) for typewriting characters like <é> , <è>, <ë>, <ü> in Dutch texts.
By typing a <”> directly followed by the Dead Key Function immediately transforms this sequence into the character <ü>.
If you don’t want this, e.g. if you need a only type followed by to get the character .
The only way Sony e service could offer to me was to go back to the key method or to inserting symbols to get an <é> or an <ü> in my texts.
I was not aware that Sony delivers the laptops in the Netherlands with an UK keyboard instead of with an international keyboard, which is the de facto standard for the Netherlands. If I had known before I would never have bought a Sony VAIO laptop.

:slight_smile: GOOD NEWS
I am happy to tell you that I found an appropriate solution on the internet, provided by Paulo Eduardo Ferreira de Castro who extended the UK keyboard setting needed to use the Dead Key function on the UK keyboard.
For more details:
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pef21/gb_intl/gb_intl.html
With Vista as an engine on my laptop it was the question ‘does it work or does it not’, but it did. I am very happy with this solution available on the internet.
I asked Sony to offer this as a standard for all Dutch Sony VAIO users with an UK Keyboard.
And if you are happy with the solution don’t forget to send a donation via PayPal to Paulo. (PEF21@cam.ac.uk)

0 REPLIES 0