Join now - be part of our community!

Direct Cable Connection

Blkadda2005
Visitor

Direct Cable Connection

I wonder if anyone can help with a little problem thats had me stumped for last two days.... Im trying to connect my Vaio Laptop to my mates PC via direct cable connection, I've run the new connection wizard on the PC and the Vaio, except the option to 'connect directly to another computer' is greyed out on the Vaio
Ive followed microsofts instructions to the 'T' , (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/814982) even though some of the steps carried out with the wizard MS didnt cover !!!!..
So any help would be appreciated as to why the Vaio only gives the choice of accepting incoming connections only and not connect directly to PC.. both systems are xp home. using a CAT5 UTP cable...
Thankx..

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Have you tried disabling Norton?

munkie
Visitor

I take it you're using a cross-over cable rather than a standard network cable

Blkadda2005
Visitor

....Norton not installed ( Thats one AV I'd like to keep away from my system lol).. all AV software disabled..

Also I'm using the correct cable..

even installed NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol even though its not needed as they are both running XP home....

I have no probs with my Dell laptop at home connecting to my sony.. and dell is running win98se!!...

Ive come back to the conclusion that windows sucks! think Ill go back to Linux..
Thanks for your help all the same people...