Join now - be part of our community!

Disaster scenario!

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
jonchurc2
Visitor

Disaster scenario!

A disc cleaning software program caused serious damage to Windows Vista on a three year old Vaio. My attempt to do a factory reset as a last resort has left me with the single option to insert Installation Disc. I never had one, and the backup I made on purchase doesn't work.

Can anyone advise me how I can resolve this, since the machine is in perfect order apart, obviously, from the above!

My thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome jonchurc2 & yes do please update us once the disc arrives..:smileyhappy:

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jonchurc2,

welcome to Questions & Answers..:smileyhappy:

You haven't mentioned what model Vaio you have because the process can vary slightly.

However in the meantime as long as the hidden HDD recovery partition is stil intact try the following.?

Restart your vaio and when you see the Vaio logo press the F10 key repeatedly..

This should start the recovery process using the hidden HDD recovery partition.

Then follow the recovery instructions to complete the process..

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

jonchurc2 wrote:

Hi,

I'd be interested to hear if you get anywhere with this, since I seem to have ann identical problem with my spare Vaio!

It just goes into a daft loop demanding an non-existent installation disc, and then pretending to start the "recovery" program, which promptly expires until I click OK, and then it switches off.....

And so on, and on and - etc.!

J

Hi John, (Noticed the above comment in another thread)

it may be that when using the disc cleaning software it has corrupt the hidden HDD partition, if this is the case then you should be able to purchase a set of recovery disc's for Vaio support which hopefully will allow you to restore the original Vaio supplied OS and applications..

You  can find the contact details for vaio support by either clicking   Support at the top of this page or by using the following link:Vaio support

Under Log-in option 1: Enter your vaio models serial number, which you should find on the bottom of your Vaio.

Then next Select Model..

Then click Log-In

Once logged select Get In Touch.

Then Click on the Out of Warranty tab, then Phone support.

jonchurc2
Visitor

Hi Thalamus -

Thanks for taking the time and trouble.

My disaster:

I tried to email you earlier, but Sony said your email box was full!

Anyway: I switch on my Vaio VGN-NR32L (2008 purchased). Hit F10 and get request to insert the non-existent Installation Disc. They don't provide one.

My next stage takes me to:

File\Windows\System32\Winload.exe

Restoring Drive C:

I then get a black screen, followed by: Recovery.exe Apllication error.

Instruction at 0x736d6398 references memor @ 0x0000ff09. The memory could not be read.

Click OK to terminate program.

It then switches off, and we're back to square one!!

I'd assume Sony can provide a new Installation disc, since as far as I know, there were no hardware problems before the "cleanup" - (CCClean Registry cleaner) screwed everything up.

Any ideas?

And thanks again for the trouble.....

J

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Hi jonchurc2,

hopefully someone's been in contact with you..:smileywink:

jonchurc2
Visitor

Thanks very much, Thalamus!

Amazed to get a call yesterday afternoon from Sony. A disc is en route and I shall endeavour to repair my "disaster" when it arrives.

I shall let you and fellow users know if it works. Or doesn't, as the case may be.

My thanks again, much appreciated.

Watch this space!!

J

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

You're welcome jonchurc2 & yes do please update us once the disc arrives..:smileyhappy: