Join now - be part of our community!

Disgusted at extra charge for Recovery Disks!!

profile.country.en_GB.title
paubaron8
Visitor

Disgusted at extra charge for Recovery Disks!!

I am so angry at the fact that the Hard Drive in my 1 & a half year old SOny VAIO (VPCEB2Z0E) has died (completely) so soon and now I am having to pay out for a new one costing £55 then ring up Sony Support for Recovery Disk's and they want me to pay out a further £47 for them!

I have always been careful with my laptop and it decides to die on me without warning. The most recent data on there that I didn't get backed up will cost me a further £375 to retrieve also.

I did a recovery disk myself but have since moved and can't place it now. I ring and am told it will cost me £47 for new one's from Sony.

With the ammount I'm am having to pay out already to fix my laptop and get it up and running again you would think Sony with all their millions could be a supportive company and just give you the disks.

I've NEVER had any other laptop die on me at such a quick rate or even EVER let alone after a year & a half!!

Your products are obviously terible and people should wait and save that bit extra and get a Mac it would seem.

I will never advise anyone EVER again to purchase a Sony VAIO and I will be Tweeting and posting this on Facebook until I'm blue in the face and get some kind of action from Sony to sort this out!!

I have swallowed my pride and got around the fact to purchase a new Hard Drive but I am not having it that Sony want to fleece me AGAIN by charging for the Recovery Disks!

I wasn't impressed with the FACT it was costing me X ammount just call your idiotic service on the phone too!!

You geedy money sucking robbers!! EVEN DICK TURPIN WORE A MASK!!!

Paul

5 REPLIES 5
firionicable
Visitor

Recovery disk is always included for free. How come you paid for it?

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

firionicable wrote:

Recovery disk is always included for free.

No they are not. A recovery partition is incorporated with all modern Vaio computers that you use to create your own recovery disks and indeed are usually prompted several times to do– this is the case, and has been for some while, with most manufacturers.

Do you own a Vaio?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
arshad91
Visitor

i find it really frustrating that we have to create our own recovery disks! other latpops i've bought in the past all have them included. I tried to create a recovery disk- but it doesn't let you use a portable hard drive to do a recovery disk, and i don't have any other forms of storage that are big enough to hold the 21GB needed to create a recovery disk :slight_frown: cheap move by sony to not include a recovery disk, am disappointed in them

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

arshad91 wrote:

it doesn't let you use a portable hard drive to do a recovery disk, and i don't have any other forms of storage that are big enough to hold the 21GB needed to create a recovery disk :slight_frown:

I may be missing something, but why don’t you use either DVD or BD media to create the recovery media?

“You can use optical discs and a USB flash drive as Recovery Media. However, it is recommended that you use DVD-R or BD-R media, since you may accidentally delete the data on the USB flash drive.
The types of media your VAIO computer supports differ depending on the model you purchased.”

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
hayfaz
Visitor

It's easy to look back and say 'why don't you ...' . The fact is paubaron8, myself and many others like him need a recovery disk. I can appreciate wanting to save money and the environment. But charging GBP50 to send 1 set of recovery disks is extortionate, don't you think?

It doesn't take 5 minutes to pop a copy in the post. Support doesn't even need to sit down and reinstall it for us. How can that add up to GBP50?

We've already paid for the recovery disk as part of the computer purchase anyway. Plus in my case, I have 3 years extended warranty!