Join now - be part of our community!

Display Orientation (SVZ1311C5E & VGP-PRZ20C)

profile.country.en_GB.title
deifwud
Visitor

Display Orientation (SVZ1311C5E & VGP-PRZ20C)

Recently purchased a VAIO Z Series laptop (SVZ1311C5E) with the optional 'Power Dock' (VGP-PRZ20C).

Basically I can't rotate my external displays. I have two monitors plugged into the dock, one of which is a code monitor which can be physically rotated. If I go into the Windows (7) display settings the Screen Orientation option is not visible. If I go into the ATI Catalyst Control Center the 'Creating & Arranging Desktops' option (where the screen orientation option resides)  is simply not there.

What I have discovered is that if I go into Device Manager and disable the onboard graphics adapter (Intel HD Graphics 4000), the 'Creating & Arranging Desktops' option magically appears in Catalyst, however, the screen rotation option within there is visible, but disabled.

Why can't I rotate the external displays?!

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.de_DE.title
rondos
Visitor

Just got my Vaio Z today (SVZ1311C5E). Frustrated enough to not be able to handle a 2560x1440 resolution, I further cannot rotate screens. Same problem as yours. UPDATE PLEASE!

leonardchallis
Visitor

I have the exact same issue. Sony, are you planning on making this possible? The graphics card on its own handles this, but the custom Sony Vaio drivers disable it. Please could you make it possible to rotate the external displays!

grakkie
Visitor

This is possible in Windows 8 (native support). You can update to windows 8 at the end of this month. I think it should also be possible if you use the power media dock (without it, you cannot use the catalys control center).

leonardchallis
Visitor

@grakkie Is that with the dock or just the laptop itself? We are talking about rotating a monitor connected to an external dock.

profile.country.de_CH.title
rogfeller
Visitor

Same problem here with a Sony Vaio VPSB Laptop :angry:

This is very dissapointing by using a brandnew EIZO Monitor - i've specially chosen a laptop with an advanced

graphic board in order to use a external monitor, and now this.

I really wonder how long this will take to be solved, as i've seen, this topic is not really new for Sony :flushed:

Message was edited by: rogfeller

leonardchallis
Visitor

Can Sony even tell us where the drivers are? Neither of the model numbers for these products are found in the drivers section on the support site. Really, really poor show.

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Have you actually spoken to Vaio Support? This is a User Forum and there will be no answers from Sony here.

The drivers for the SVZ1311C5E can be found in the usual place here: -

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SVZ1311C5E/updates

All available drivers for both the Vaio and the Media Dock are listed on the Vaio's Support Pages.

However, the only Hybrid Driver for use with AMD in the Media Dock is in the Preinstalled Drivers (Windows 7) section and is dated June 2012. There are no updates and there is no Windows 8 Driver.

Z-Series Vaios are still being sold with Windows 7 installed which indicates to me that there is no new AMD hybrid graphics driver compatible with Windows 8 on the way anytime soon and it also seems very likely that no Windows 7 hybrid driver update will be forthcoming soon either.

All you can do is register your problem with Vaio Support. The more people who do this, the more likely a solution.

:thinking: