Join now - be part of our community!

Docking station slows down Internet connection

profile.country.sv_SE.title
robertscholz
Visitor

Docking station slows down Internet connection

When using docking station VGP-PRS20 my wireless Internet connection slows down significantly (according to speed tests) compared to running computer on battery or when computer is connected directly to power adapter. What can the reason for this be?

Best regards,

Robert Scholz

Message was edited by: robertscholz

Message was edited by: robertscholz After some testing have I found out that the drop in connection speed only happens when the display on the notebook is down. When I open the display the connection speed goes up again. So it has nothing to do with the docking station, it's just bad design causing the network adapter to not function propertly when the display isn't open. Maybe I have to use an external network adapter connected to the docking station instead.

1 REPLY 1
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Robert and welcome.

As the antenna is in the LCD surround, I guess there may be poorer reception when the lid is shut.

Can you give an indication of how much the internet connection slows down and what program you have used to measure this and I will send this info to Sony so they can check it is simply the antenna losing efficiency - rather than some form of low-power state clicking in when the lid is shut?

:thinking: