Join now - be part of our community!

downgraded my VAIO VGN-N21E/W - need drivers

karlc
Visitor

downgraded my VAIO VGN-N21E/W - need drivers

Hi all

I just downgraded my VAIO VGN-N21E/W from Vista Home Pro to XP Pro and need the appropriate XP drivers for the Modem and Ethernet as the ones on the recovery disk are not compatible.

I have looked all over the web but no joy, any help would be great.

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi karlc,

Welcome to Club Vaio.

There are no official XP drivers and utilities for the N21-series Vaios.

Sony do not support the use of XP on your Vaio and so they are not going to release drivers for anything else but Vista as the Operating System. If you have problems, Sony will not help you and if you need to make a claim under the warranty, you will have to put Vista back as the OS - so make sure you have at least two sets of Recovery Discs.

All you can do is to download the Preinstalled XP Drivers and the Preinstalled XP Utilities for the N11-Series of Vaios. These should work OK but there have been some problems getting the N21-Series Vaios working properly with XP.

:slight_frown:

karlc
Visitor

Blencogo, thanks for the tip

I managed to resolve most issues using a combination of both drivers, however sound remains the issue although this weekend when I have more time I think I may the answer to this.

Must say the laptop now works a treat now, anyone thinking of using this for web development under Vista I suggest looking at a model with better spec.