Join now - be part of our community!

Downgrading my VGN-FZ38M to XP Pro

LesSharma
Visitor

Downgrading my VGN-FZ38M to XP Pro

Hi all,

Is it possible to downgrade my Vaio VGN-FZ38M to XP Pro?

If yes, how?

Regards,

Les

3 REPLIES 3
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Les and welcome.

The answer to your question is anything is possible - but it is not recommended.

Sony does not support a downgrade for any of the FZ11, FZ21, FZ31 or FZ38 series and so XP Drivers and XP Utilities do not exist for you to download. You would have to return the Vaio to Vista if you wanted to claim under the warranty.

You will have to buy a retail copy of XP - there is no downgrade or exchange route available for Vista Home Premium.

The FZ-Series of Vaios is designed for use with Vista and it is not possible to get everything working properly with XP. Basic functionality can be achieved by using the Sony XP Downgrade Drivers for the FZ29 and by searching for an XP nVidia 8400M GT Graphics driver from www.LaptopVideo2Go.com. (The FZ29 has Intel integrated graphics). So it is possible to get all the drivers working with XP.

However, there are no working utilities for the FZ-Series so the following will not work after a downgrade to XP: -

1. AV Mode Button can not be used.
2. Instant On mode can not be used.
3. Fn+F5/Fn+F6 Function Key(Brightness Control) can not be used.
4. Fn+F10(Zoom in/out function) can not be used.
5. When connect with HDMI, the sound output does not work.

In addition you will lose all the preinstalled software (WinDVD BD Blu-Ray player, Photoshop, Premiere, Roxio etc.). None of these Applications are downloadable. You would have to buy software to be able to burn DVDs or watch Blu-Ray.

:slight_frown:

profile.country.DE.title
razmacav
New

Hi

I have downgraded my VGN FZ 38M to XP.

It was not that easy but I found the drivers on sony.asia. In asia this model has been sold as XP version.

But what blencogo said about all utilities is right. You will not be able to use them.

So downgrade only if necessary and if utilities are not priority. If so, I can send you some more informations.

Regards

profile.country.el_GR.title
webcaptain
Visitor

Could you post the link in sony asia about the drivers for windows xp;