Join now - be part of our community!

dvd - rw drive freezes everything

wessley
Visitor

dvd - rw drive freezes everything

Just taken delivery of my 2nd vaio rc-102. (1st one DOA.)
Now this one is locking up most of the time when i put a disk (cd or dvd) into the rw drive. any ideas on why this is or how to stop it locking the pc up?

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Does the other drive - the Sony CD/DVD ROM drive work OK? If so this would point to the Pioneer DVR109 drive as the culprit.

Try uninstalling the Pioneer DVD+/-RW drive in Device Manager and Re-boot to force Windows to re-initialise the drive and drivers.

Then look in Device Manager to check if there are any problems with the drive or any warnings.

Do all your drives show in Explorer? C ,D, E ,F ,G ,H ,I & J should all show up.

:slight_frown:

wessley
Visitor

unfortunately it seems to be both drives that are playing up. about 3 in every 5 cd's dvd's that are put in to be read lock the pc up so that i have to turn the main power on and off. I'll try the driver re install that you sugested. Just on another point, how loud should the hard drive be. I would expect some audible noise but the crackel i can hear on this machine dose not sound right.

Snipes
Visitor

hi there wessley, funny that my names Wez, lol, anyhow.....
IF you've added any memory recently, remove it and reboot.
im not sure what memory u have installed on your mother board but if you have 2 ram sticks, then remove 1 and try your disks again, if it still does it try putting the 1st 1 back in and trying it with the second 1 out,,and so on,,, if the problem is fixed after you take the memory out then you know what it is, i had this problem on my old rs222 and it was my memory so give it a shot, let us know..

<<

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

unfortunately it seems to be both drives that are playing up. about 3 in every 5 cd's dvd's that are put in to be read lock the pc up so that i have to turn the main power on and off. I'll try the driver re install that you sugested. Just on another point, how loud should the hard drive be. I would expect some audible noise but the crackel i can hear on this machine dose not sound right.

wessley,

Have you had any success?
Have you installed any new software - particularly DVD burning software?

My drives are almost silent although occasionally I get a quiet noise - sounds a bit like a rattlesnake!!!!!

It's a bit worrying - you should not be having any of these problems with a new Vaio. Give Vaio-Link a ring, there may be a known fault.

:smileyhypnotized:

oldirty
Visitor

i got this a few times ,after a recovery,it's a mess i know and the only thing that fixed it tit was another recovery.
hope this helps ,it helped me

wessley1
Visitor

sorry i didnt get back to you sooner,, but i uninstalled roxio cd copy typ suit and all is ok now,, seems that the software was the problem after all,, thanks for you advice..

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Wessley,

Glad you got it sorted. Yes, Roxio SUCKS - its drivers conflict with nearly every other burning prog.

I see Vaio-Link have an update to Click to DVD which is meant to sort the problem but I think you have done the best thing and dumped Roxio.

:cry: