Join now - be part of our community!

Error message on start up

profile.country.en_GB.title
markj1993
Visitor

Error message on start up

Hi,

I'm a bit unsure about an error message that pops- up on start up. The message is titled 'KDXHostWindow: KDHost.exe - Application Error' and the message reads: 'The instruction at 0x00408be4 referenced memory at 0x00000080. The memory could not be read. Click on OK to terminate the program'. This only apeared after an unexpected shutdown to the laptop so i have not yet click the 'OK' or the 'X' as i do not no if it is a virus and will affect my computer. This shutdown arrived about 10 minutes after i downloaded a song, which WAS scanned and returned no threats, but happened immediately after i was trying to shut a window down (cant remember if it was Firefox or Windows Media Centre)and it took 3 clicks, then suddenly a blue screen appeared with white writing saying an error had been found and it was going to shutdown. I then booted back up in Safe Mode and the windows message came up saying it had recovered from an unexpected shutdown, therefore i restarted the computer and it is now in what i would class as normal mode.

Sorry about the long story, but could someone advise me on how to stop the message from appearing/ whether i should click 'OK'/ perform a scan.

At the moment i am scanning my harddrive for any viruses using avast and is now on 20% after around 45 minutes and as of yet no threats found.

Thanks for help in advance, Mark. :slight_smile:

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mark,

I have no idea whether this is malware related but I would suggest the following:

1 Use more than one virus scanner. I can recommend Dr Web CureIt.

http://www.freedrweb.com/

2 You should be able to stop the application running at Startup by unchecking it on the startup tab of System Configuration.

EDIT: A google provided the following:

"KDX Host (or KHost) is used by various things like, Kazza, BBC iPlayer, 4OD, Sky Anytime, its thier background transfer utility, that allows YOU to share out to other people, the things you have downloaded via one of the above."

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
markj1993
Visitor

Thanks for your reply, i ran a virus scanner which found several. This got rid of the message which i believe was a virus, but i also managed to get rid of the 'Delivery manger' message by reinstalling sky player which was the cause of the error.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mark,

I’m pleased to hear that you managed to sort out the problem.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
markj1993
Visitor

Hi Rich,

since this problem corrected. my laptop has just been encountering more and more problems 😕 For example firefox keeps shutting down, it says the is a conflict between IP's, the bluetooth has stopped working, hp client has stopped working, windows has stopped working and delivery manager has stopped working. These are all happening numerous times, with a few others that arent occuring as much, but my laptop is now at the stage of a blue screen shutdown at least once a day.
I don't know how to correct this problem, but on about the 10th bluescreen it told me to contact sony as there has been a hardware failure.
Is this my only and best option?
Thanks, Mark. :slight_smile:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mark,

As you had malware on your machine that could have corrupted system files I think that your first course of action should be to backup all your data and then carry out a system recovery back to factory settings.

Support will no doubt request that you do this prior to accepting the machine for investigation/repair.

If the problem then still persists, and your machine is in warranty, contact Support

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat