Join now - be part of our community!

Error message - "The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally"

Skeeta
Visitor

Error message - "The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally"

This is my first post to the forum (after owning my VAIO notebook for more than 4 years). My notebook is a PCG-GR214MP with XP PRO SP2 (completely up to date) OS.

I am concerned that for the past few days I am receiving the following error message -

"The ati2dvag display driver has stopped working normally. Save your work and reboot the system to restore full display functionality. The next time you reboot the machine a dialog will be displayed giving you a chance to upload data about this failure to Microsoft."

All I know is that the Display Adapter is a Mobility Radeon from ATI Technologies, however there do not appear to be any updated drivers for the adapter and I'm concerned that the current driver has become corrupted.

Can anyone suggest a solution to this problem.

The relevant file is ati2dvag.dll 😞

12 REPLIES 12
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Skeeta and welcome to Club Vaio!

There is an updated audio driver version 5.12.01 on VAIO LINK but I see it is dated back in April 2002.

Have you tried uninstalling the sound chip in Device Manager and re-booting to force Windows to reload the driver?

:thinking:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Heavy night Bencogo?:smileygrin:

Skeeta, unfortunately there are no updated Video drivers for your model, but you will find the original pre-installed drivers by following the link provided by Blencogo. It may be worth re-installing the drivers.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Just showing my age Rich! Don't have the stamina any more!

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Been there and bought the T shirt:smileywink:

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Just showing my age Rich! Don't have the stamina any more!

:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping:

If I can remember the link Blencogo, perhaps you can download a stamina update...:smileygrin:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

I probably need the full System Restore!

:anguished:

Skeeta
Visitor

Heavy night Bencogo?:smileygrin: 

Skeeta, unfortunately there are no updated Video drivers for your model, but you will find the original pre-installed drivers by following the link provided by Blencogo. It may be worth re-installing the drivers.

Many thanks for replying (and to Blencogo)...I must admit to not being an expert here. I'm a Mac user and I've kept my old VAIO notebook mainly for my Accounting software because I didn't want to pay the exorbitant price asked for changing to the Mac version of the software package!

I've found the Driver details under 'Mobility Radeon Properties' which is under 'Display Adapters' on My Computer. If I merely click the Uninstall button (on the Driver tab) to uninstall the driver and then re-boot will Windows go looking for the driver and re-install it? Also, if the Driver file (ati2dvag.dll) is corrupted won't this mean that I then won't be able to access my screen at all? Sorry if this is a very DUMB question :slight_frown:

profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

Hi Skeeta,

Not a silly question!

Yes, Windows will look for the driver and install it automatically.

If you are worried about the driver being corrupted, download the Preinstalled Driver package from Vaio-Link first and put it in a directory you can find easily (D:\VaioDrivers?). If windows finds the original driver is corrupted, it will ask you where to look for a driver. Say NO to 'Search the Web' and point it to your download directory.

:wink:

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

I suggest that you download the pre-installed drivers from Vaio-Link, extract and install the video drivers and then uninstall the device via Device Manager, re-boot and let Windows re-install the drivers. If the current driver file is corrupted then hopefully this will cure the problem.

If you encounter any video problems when booting Windows then use the Safe Mode option (tap F8 at boot), this will load video drivers that will provide a basic display, thereby allowing you to troubleshoot the driver issue.

EDIT: Sorry Blencogo, got distracted halfway through replying and didn't see that you already have this one covered.....

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat