Join now - be part of our community!

Ethernet and Broadband???

smsmasters
Visitor

Ethernet and Broadband???

I have recently purchased a SONY VAIO PCV-RX305. It comes with an ethernet port. Can i use this for a broadband (adsl) connection or do i need to purchase an adsl modem???

3 REPLIES 3
VAIOneer
Visitor

Your service provider usually provides an ADSL modem as part of the broadband package, which in turn will connect to your PC.

If not, then yes you will need a ADSL modem before you user your PC to go broadband.
Make & model is entirely down to personal preferance.

mauve_turtle
Visitor

Actually, concerning the ethernet port, it all depends which route you decide to take with broadband. If you take the BT option then yes, you do need the ADSL modem.However if you decide to go the Cable Broadband route,say with NTL for example (which is the only option in my area) then the ethernet port comes into play as it is this port which is used to connect to your cable box to provide your broadband feed.I hope that helps.

kokomero
Visitor

You need a DSL modem but normally they connect to the USB port or fit in one of the PCI slots. However, for a few quid more you could get yourself a combined 10/100 base-T ethernet hub + DSL modem which would allow you to attach additional machines or even a set-top box in the future. Such a hub connects to the ethernet port on the back of your vaio. Try http://www.jungle.com who have a large selection and are pretty good in terms of service and delivery as well as price.