Join now - be part of our community!

External HDD crashes (BSOD) my new VAIO...?

SOLVED
profile.country.en_GB.title
Craig0976
Visitor

External HDD crashes (BSOD) my new VAIO...?

Hi all,

I have had my new VAIO for two weeks (SVE-1511C5E, custom build). So far it really is not any different to to day I got it, meaning I have not installed any software etc, pretty much as it is as it it came out the box.

I did however last week, plug in my external hard disk drive (Iomega) that has all my previous pc's (xp) files and work on as a backup....however....

.....when I switched the HDD on, I got the 'installing drive...' etc balloons and then CRASH followed by blue screen of death (bsod)!

So, having rebooted, I reluctantly re-tried it, this time no bsod. The laptop beeps upon plugging in the USB (like it has connected to ext HDD)....then....nothing? No 'little autoplay window' to 'explore' the drive?

In 'Computer' no removable storage drive is listed. However, if I look in the system tools menu (bottom-right of screen) and click the 'Safely remove hardware and eject media' button I can see my ext HDD listed and can eject it? I can see the drive in Computer, Manage, Disk Management, I can click onto it and have tried to 'Change Drive Letters and Path', but get a Error Message.

I have tried a second ext HDD (different make (Freecom)), and the exact same process occured!?

So, I tried my girlfriend's ext HDD....and it works! This HDD contains files from an older xp PC also.

Last night I actioned a restore, took it back to the 1st July (which was before I first plugged on my Ext HDD for the first time), where I then plugged in my said 'second' ext HDD, now completed fully formatted, and

when I switched the HDD on, I got the exact same as mentioned above......'installing drive...' etc balloons and then CRASH followed by blue screen of death (bsod)!

Back to square one!

Not sure at all what is going on here, so if anyone has any thoughts I would really appreciated it before I give up and get Sony to replace the laptop.

Thanks all.

Message was edited by: Craig0976

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Craig0976
Visitor

Morning Rich,

I borrowed a CD bootable version of an OS from a friend to run on my laptop last night and this OS was able to identify my own external HDD, result!

So it took about two and a half hours to copy all my backed up contents to another ext HDD and then I formatted the drive. So at least I have a working ext HDD with my backed up files. I then logged back in to Windows 7 but it still will not see my now empty, formatted ext HDD, so I think I shall just write it off.

I will be taking another back-up of my back-up though!

Now to remove McAfee......!

Thanks for your advice, appreciated.

Craig.

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Craig0976,

You state that you have tried three different external HDD's, one that worked and two that didn't, but have you tried the none working drives on another machine?

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Craig0976
Visitor

Hi Rich912,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been away for the weekend!

Yes, I have tried one of the ext HDD's (it's a work HDD) on my work pc and it works! I have then formatted it on the working pc and re-tried it on my laptop, but it has still crashed it...but then will still work on my work pc...?!

I am a little reluctant to try the ext HDD (that belongs to me and has my backup files) on a work pc/laptop just in case it blue screens it and then my work won't be very happy! I know that this is what I really need to try but I don't want to put any one else's or works(!) pc's at risk of blue screening and then having any problems themselves.

Just one thought, while I was away over the weekend I did activate McAfee Internet protection on my VAIO (mainly as I was getting the 'Activate Me' balloon every 10 minutes!), which now gives me 30-days free trial before I have to purchase a years subscription. Before I activated this I was running AVG Free. I have not plugged any ext HDD's into my VAIO since do this, do you think that this may help solve it?

Many Thanks

Craig.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Craig,

I understand that there was a problem with McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8 relating to the file mfehidk.sys file that caused a BSOD when scanning or attaching an external USB drive. As far as I can tell this was prevalent towards the end of last year so would assume that a fix has been incorporated in the latest releases.

There is a hot fix available if this applies:

http://www.computerforums.org/forums/computer-software-articles/mfehidk-sys-blue-screen-213684.html

To confirm or rule this out as the cause I suggest that you either disable McAfee or remove the software entirely and then try attaching the drive.

I’m not a fan of McAfee and there are plenty of free alternatives. I have been using Microsoft Security Essentials for the last few years which meets my needs.

Rich

Sorry, I didn’t read your post thoroughly and was under the impression that you were querying whether McAfee could be the culprit.

I still suggest that you disable any Anti Virus you have running and then try attaching the drive.

Message was edited by: rich912

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Craig0976
Visitor

Hi Rich,

Yes, I would agree with you about the McAfee point. I had already tried to remove it from my VAIO (before I had this ext HDD problem) but it would not remove, any ideas on how to do that?

At the weekend I decided that I would activate the free 30-day trial anyway just to try and solve this ext HDD issue.

I had another go last night, but booted up in safe mode and my work ext. HDD worked!...and then it worked in normal mode......some success at last! So then I tried my own ext. HDD.....but with no luck still! But at least it did not bsod on me!

So I am currently trying to find an old laptop/pc that I can try it out on (other than my work pc). I'll let you know how I get on.

cheers, Craig.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Craig,

MacAfee is one of those products that often requires additional software for complete removal, one of my reasons for the dislike of this software.

Have a look at the following links.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS101331

http://majorgeeks.com/McAfee_Consumer_Product_Removal_Tool_d5420.html

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
Craig0976
Visitor

Morning Rich,

I borrowed a CD bootable version of an OS from a friend to run on my laptop last night and this OS was able to identify my own external HDD, result!

So it took about two and a half hours to copy all my backed up contents to another ext HDD and then I formatted the drive. So at least I have a working ext HDD with my backed up files. I then logged back in to Windows 7 but it still will not see my now empty, formatted ext HDD, so I think I shall just write it off.

I will be taking another back-up of my back-up though!

Now to remove McAfee......!

Thanks for your advice, appreciated.

Craig.

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Craig,

Good to hear that you have made progress.

If you ever do manage to get Win 7 to accept the drive then please let us know as the info may very well be of help to others in the future.

Rich

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat