Join now - be part of our community!

FE11H cannot get DNS allocated in encrypted wifi network

flip43
Visitor

FE11H cannot get DNS allocated in encrypted wifi network

As a newcomer I hope my problem hasn't been addressed elsewhere already.

My FE11H fails to get a dynamic DNS allocated across an encrypted wifi connection at either of my two bases, one in France using a France Telecom Livebox, the other in the UK via a standard ADSL modem and 3com router.

If I remove the encryption in the UK network it works fine (the France Telecom Box doesn't appear to offer unencrypted access). The remaining computers all work fine (using W2K - the vaio is on XP media).

Many thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Aeivan
Visitor

Hi,

Initial thoughts - do you definitely have the 'association' properties set correctly for the relevent router in windows?

i.e. right clicking on the wireless connection in the 'network connections' window, selecting 'properties', then on the 'wireless networks' tab clicking on the properties button for yout preferred network.
Worth checking that you have the correct encryption settings in there - and the correct network key ?

I have an FE11H - and I'm successfully using an encrypted wireless network (via a belkin 54g router). For info I'm using WPA2 authentication, with AES encryption, and the laptop seems happy enough with it. Hope you get sorted!

flip43
Visitor

Many thanks for your suggestion.

I can confirm that I'm definitely associating with the correct network, in fact there is only one.

I note your encryption details , may I ask whether you're using as 64, 128 or 256 bit key?

Best regards

Philip

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Make sure you're using DHCP to get then IP

flip43
Visitor

I am doing just that - and it works if there's no encryption, only fails when I have encryption on.

Regards

Philip

profile.country.en_GB.title
kee-lo_

Hmmm, can you use WPA-SK?