Join now - be part of our community!

FE28H cpu upgrade T2300 to T7400

profile.country.en_GB.title
japauld
Visitor

FE28H cpu upgrade T2300 to T7400

Hi Folks, I have read about this upgrade on many laptop forums, should be easy! However, with the T7400 installed I get a blank screen and caps/num/scroll LEDS all stay on. The HDD spins up too, but that's it, no screen. Has anyone done this upgrade, or something similar? I thinl maybe I need a BIOS update but can't find one. Any help greatly appreciated! Regards, Jason.

2 REPLIES 2
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Jason and welcome to the forum.

Upgrading the CPU in a notebook is not to be recommended.

Yes you may very well need a BIOS upgrade for the machine to even recognise the CPU, but unless one is available on the Support site this is a non starter.

You also need to consider the damage that you could do to the motherboard if the thermal controls are unable to cope with the additional wattage output.

Your choice, but I suggest that you consider spending your hard earned cash on a new notebook or consider additional RAM, if you have not already maxed out on that.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
profile.country.en_GB.title
japauld
Visitor

Thanks for the advice. I'm aware of the issues and have researched carefully regarding temperatures and so on, hence I was prepared to give it a go. I don't want to upgrade the laptop yet as there is nothing available that ticks all the right boxes.

For info, I now have it working perfectly - upgraded to the BIOS R0200J3 available for a FE41Z on the Sony UK support site. Now running 64 bit Windows 7 and it's noticebly quicker than XP and the T2300 cpu.