Join now - be part of our community!

Firewire Connection Not Responding

MrChoons
Visitor

Firewire Connection Not Responding

Hello all

I am trying to transfer video from a Mini DV camcorder - Panasonic NV-DS65 - via a firewire cable.

It connected fine last week, but now I can't get anything! I have tried buying a different cable today, but there has been no change.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Mr C

5 REPLIES 5
profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mr C

I suggest that you first check that the IEEE 1394 connection is enabled.

If your operating system is XP then click start > Control Panel > Network Connections. For Vista check the status in Device Manager.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MrChoons
Visitor

Thanks for the suggestion. It wasn't enabled so I've done that now, but it still isn't picking up the camcorder.

Very frustrating as it was working fine when I first got the cable!

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Have you rebooted since enabling? Also After re-boot are there any error messages in device manager and is it still enabled?

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat
MrChoons
Visitor

Hi Rich

I've rebooted a couple of times and it now stays as enabled. No error messages, although if I try to go through the "Repair" option I get the following error message:

Windows could not finish repairing the problem because the following action cannot be completed:
TCP/IP is not enabled for this connection. Cannot proceed.

For assistance, contact the person who manages your network.

I am connecting the cable from the computer to the camcorder and switching the camcorder on before booting up the computer.

Thanks for your assistance!

Mr C

profile.country.GB.title
rich912
Contributor

Hi Mr C,

Hmmm, strange. This should be enabled by default

Open Network Connections, right click the 1394 connection and select Properties. On the Gereral tab is Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) listed and ticked? If not listed click on Install, Select Protocol and click Add. Make sure Microsoft is selected. Select Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) and click OK. The necessary Client will install automatically.

If this has no effect I suggest that you manually remove the device via Device Manager and then reboot letting Windows automatically reinstall the drivers.

Go n-éirí an bóthar leat