Join now - be part of our community!

first time using recovery disks

profile.country.en_GB.title
vijsingh
Visitor

first time using recovery disks

Im about to use the recovery disks to get my Vaio to factory settings but im afraid of something going wrong and ending up with a dead Vaio.

Would there be a way around it if it did go wrong somehow?

8 REPLIES 8
profile.country.GB.title
Blencogo
Expert

If you make sure you keep the Recovery Partition on your hard drive and also make two or three sets of Recovery Discs, you should be safe enough.

Belts and Braces are recommended!

:wink:

vijsingh
Visitor

If you make sure you keep the Recovery Partition on your hard drive  and also make two or three sets of Recovery Discs, you should be safe enough.

Belts and Braces are recommended!

:wink:

im not sure what that means :thinking:

oh i've made enough sets :smileygrin:

7hil
Visitor

I've had Vaio's for 8 years now and whenever I get a new one I make to two sets of recovery discs and then delete the recovery partition. Never had any problems performing a recovery.

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Would there be a way around it if it did go wrong somehow?

Hi vaioAR61M,

the recovery disc's will probably work just fine..

On the of chance that something goes wrong simply remove the recovery disc's that you created and restart your Vaio then when you see the Vaio logo screen press F10 repeatedly this normally would start the recovery process using the HDD partition..

vijsingh
Visitor

somehow I always seem to have bad luck with technology :slight_frown: so im just thinking ahead.

thanks

btw. what is this HDD partition/Recovery Partition? will a restore detete it?

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

what is this HDD partition/Recovery Partition? 

Your vaio has a hidden partition on your HD drive that contains the files needed to recover your Vaio..

If you only select the default C drive or full recovery using the Vaio recovery utility then this will not remove the recovery partition.

If you want peace of mind use the following link to check out the :Troubleshooting and Recovery Guide

vijsingh
Visitor

what is this HDD partition/Recovery Partition? 

If you only select the default C drive or full recovery using the Vaio recovery utility then this will not remove the recovery partition.

So in Vaio Recovery Restore C: Drive & Restore Complete System will not delete the partition, right?

Which one would you reccomend I use? I just want it restored to factory setting like the day it was bought and not to delete anything else.

I will take a look at the PDF when I get home, thanks

profile.country.GB.title
Thalamus.
Champion

Recovering C should be fine..